Thread: African buffalo

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default African buffalo

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken from the car, Shingwedzi region Kruger park.
    Canon 5D III Canon 100-400 L IS II
    ISO 3200 1/1000 sec f5.6
    ACR +PSCC Colour balance ,removed blue magenta and purple, and luminosity mask on the horns. Some toning of background/foreground. Little tidying up of grass stems. In two minds regarding NR decided not to.

He was just a short distance from the road looking supremely confident in his stature. We pulled up and he offered us a cursory glance and recommenced grazing, two humans in a Toyota Rav don't pose much of a threat to me is what I reckoned he was thinking.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,
    A very nice example of those huge Dagga boys found in the Shingwedzi area of the Kruger

Whew, has anyone noticed how small the subject's head looks in comparison with the body, those chaps are massive... Wonderful confident pose with the Buffalo looking back and assessing the situation and possible threats.

Good techs, colours spot on, no casts as far as I am concerned. Nice detail and sharpness and I love those shiny horns - judging by the wet coat I take it he must have been wallowing in the mud?

I also like the inclusion of environment, we had a long period of drought around here so what joy to see so much green!

Regarding framing - have you tried taking off a bit from the top? Just a thought...

Very nice work and I enjoyed viewing...Thinking I must book another trip to the Kruger for October

Hope you have a great rest of the week my friend,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, very nice control of the blacks, albeit the head is just on the cusp perhaps.

Lovely detail, however maybe being a bit more 'square on' may have given him a bit more dignity . Perhaps a slightly tighter 16 x 12 may also work, but if you use Layers make sure they are highlighted and then use 'Align' - check the RH edge.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, I am pleased you liked it. Yes Steve I see what you mean, that was a last minute after thought tweak I should have done prior to putting the outline frame on. Not sure what you have reservation on regarding the head?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this big guy. Everything looks good too me. Like the pose on the buffalo.