Thread: Redwing blackbird

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Redwing blackbird

Attached Images Attached Images

There's a marsh on Nantucket where I like to go in May to watch and photograph redwing blackbirds. I can use my car as a blind and take advantage of good morning light and little traffic. This image was one of relatively few that didn't have excessive obstructing vegetation. Canon 7D II, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II, f/5.6, 1/3200, ISO 640.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David. I like the clarity/sharpness of the bird, and the green background...although it appears to be quite noisy. For me though the vegetation is still too distracting...especially the blade on the left ending at the red patch on the left side. The diagonal reed contains some blown highlights.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of my favorite birds too photograph like the setting and all the green. The blacks look blocked on the bird but it looks to be pretty much in shadow.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Paul. I was trying to expose for the black bird and was willing to accept getting the diagonal reed too light. I guess I'm either not seeing or being bothered by the noise in the BG but I have no trouble believing that it's there.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, John. I was focused literally and figuratively on the bird's head. I think I got that exposed correctly. You're right, the bird's lower breast and belly are in shadow.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the setting, and nice greens to the grass. Yes, the blacks are rather dark on the body, and if mine I'd take the spot removal tool and eliminate the specks on the head and face (and the lower second catchlight). Sharp, and good BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, great HA and pose here, and two of the hardest colours to nail properly - black and red. You seem to have sorted the head, and agree the body is a touch blocked. I like the different angles of the reeds.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Daniel. True confessions time: On my computer screen, those specks don't show up (the lower second catchlight does but I hadn't noticed it and wonder why it's there; no flash). But when I posted the image here, I was a little disconcerted to see how big it was, and immediately noticed those specks. I'll have to figure something out. Thanks again.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Stu. What--if anything--would you do to the body?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the setting. Agree about the blacks. Very nice POV and pose. The reds and yellows look good. I find the BG a wee bit too bright.

Will

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Will. I agree about the BG. I haven't been able to get the right balance between the bird and the BG but will continue to work on it.

12. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post