Thread: Chipmunk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chipmunk

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 5/24/18 at 8:31AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Big crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 8000
    f6.3
    1/320sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, kodos in pushing the ISO, good for you it's worked well and even in PP it has stood up reasonably well.

I like the placement and the diagonal log creates a strong line in the composition. detail isn't too bad considering the ISO. No idea on the 'images adjustments done, but I might run a little NR in the BKG. You do need to check in PP if Blacks or Whites are clipped, the dark (black) shadow areas are horribly clipped, either you are not checking the Histogram on the camera or pushing Black into the image. Depending on your ethics, I would remove the two bits of vegetation (blades of grass) over the log. Using a flash 'off camera' as Fill-in would have helped I think just a little boost.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi John, kodos in pushing the ISO, good for you it's worked well and even in PP it has stood up reasonably well.

I like the placement and the diagonal log creates a strong line in the composition. detail isn't too bad considering the ISO. No idea on the 'images adjustments done, but I might run a little NR in the BKG. You do need to check in PP if Blacks or Whites are clipped, the dark (black) shadow areas are horribly clipped, either you are not checking the Histogram on the camera or pushing Black into the image. Depending on your ethics, I would remove the two bits of vegetation (blades of grass) over the log. Using a flash 'off camera' as Fill-in would have helped I think just a little boost.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, I clipped the blacks on purpose here. This is pretty close to what i saw when i made the image. I'm pretty sure the blacks are not clipping on the chipmunk just the log behind and below.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - You should have posted this in May for the rodent theme. I like the pose and you've got good detail on the chipmunk. The IQ has held up well at least for a web posting despite the large crop and high ISO> If it weren't already a large crop then I would suggest coming down even more from the top to eliminate some of the busy ulc.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, I clipped the blacks on purpose here
    Hi John, no the Chipmunk isn't clipped, but I can't see any advantage in any scenario in clipping the blacks, why did you, curious?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, Behind the chipmunk and below the log looked too flat to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

OK John, if you were to print the image as it stands you would have issues, however the key to any file is not to clip the blacks period.

You have on par or perhaps a fraction more dynamic range and definitely more pixels then I have with the 1DXMK2. Even in the darkest areas there is subtle detail, but clipping the blacks will not help you, it goes the other way and so looking at it straight away the image looks heavy and dark/contrasty. Now I just take the image in to LR, no sharpening applied, just look at the chipmunk now, you have even more detail, subtle in areas like the nose and this is from your OP, and so understanding what you do in your WF and what the ramifications are, you can then address the issues (if there are any) before they surface. Contrast & black may make the image appear sharper, but you loose all you nice mid tone.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic results from your efforts John. Steve's work certainly enhanced the image too.
    A need for NR on the BG was what I wished for when I first checked the image.

I would be curious what Steve's thoughts are on clipping of blacks if I were to shoot an image at night with flash as main light and say the BG is pure dark sky? Would the clipping of that dark BG really be a big deal then? I am curious to know, as I have not done serious printing myself.