Thread: Desert Queen

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Desert Queen

Attached Images Attached Images

I have no idea how old she is but I have known and photographed this lioness for many years. She was still in great shape when I took this image in 2014, and this is when I found her in the company of another two females and three youngsters all lazing around while she was busy chasing a giraffe up a dune. The chase was not successful and she returned to the waterhole very annoyed with everyone. As soon as she calmed down she decided to cross the road and look for a spot of shade, walked right in front of my lens and kept looking into my direction. At some point I felt a shiver down my spine but it was too late to try close my window, very grateful though when she changed direction after sniffling the end of my lens...

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 400
    F7.1
    1/2500s

Thought I'd remind you that this month's theme is Predators Thank you so much for taking the time to view, appreciated.

Have a lovely week-end, friends!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Looks like we were posting to start off this month's theme at the same time. This is a very powerful image. The pov and eye contact make it and are enough to send those same shivers down the viewer's spine. Colors and tone look great. I'd prefer a bit more room below for her to walk into but not a deal breaker.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, she does look impressive and I like the body posture/angle here. The overall colour palette works well too. Even in 2014 the techs look good, now you are just quietly honing them and I trust utilising the 'Cases' (for Tracking and Acel/Decl) that Nikon have adopted from Canon on the D5? More room all round for me, and I'm not sure what's happening with the front 'squashed' paw, looks a little odd, she's not that heavy???

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- You just come with one fantastic image after another. Excellent details and the look is indeed giving shivers. I might have gone for a vertical frame with some more room at the foot of the frame . Lovely colours as well. A very nice image. TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice view of this lion. Like the walking angle and the direct eye contact to you. Maybe a little more room below?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Rachel, Steve, Haseeb and John,

Rachel, John, Haseeb - unfortunately no space at the bottom...She came too close. Not sure why I did not change to vertical - cannot remember the circumstances, this happened a while ago. I probably tried not to move around too much and annoy Mrs. Lion here. I have some other frames taken with the 300 but I liked her facial expression in this one.

Steve, in 2014 you told me to keep checking the histogram and make sure I had enough SS, this was sometime before this trip. I never forgot ... Regarding "squashed paw" - perhaps this girl's tendons (in the toes) are a bit weak due to age - I have not changed anything in post processing:)

Kind regards,

Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Regarding "squashed paw" - perhaps this girl's tendons (in the toes) are a bit weak due to age - I have not changed anything in post processing
    That's absolutely fine Gabriela, I always have to ask, I guess it from my background.

8. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I lovely head-on view of a typical KTP lioness in a typical setting with that good light, Gabriela.
    Nice one. Good to stroll through the forum again.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice POV Gabriela,
    Love the colour palette and her gaze. Must have been quite "terrifying", but what an experience.
    KTP is next on our list to visit!!! Sounds like an incredible place.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Morkel and Akos,

Akos it was more of a thrill, having her so close. The fact that she stopped and looked straight into my eyes for quite some time made me wonder if she remembered me somehow. I spent so many hours watching her and her companion (Fred) over the years. I saw them mating, playing with their cubs, stalk prey. Saw Fred chase his sons up a dune when they old enough to go on their own. I sometimes fell asleep waiting for her to get up, she loves to lie in the shade of a big tree at lunch time.

Last year I saw her again but briefly. It was late afternoon and I was on my way back to the camp after searching for her the whole day. She was walking in the middle of the road followed by one of her offspring from the previous year so I stopped to see if they were going to the waterhole. The little punk (now over a year old) came to my car door, stretched, then suddenly stood up and sank his teeth into my bean bag. Fortunately my camera was lying on the seat next to me. I looked at Mom and she seemed unconcerned so I gave him a little swat and he eventually let go. Had she got up I would have given him the bean bag, LOL.

I really wish I could share those older images here on BPN but my knowledge of photography was very limited at the time so those frames are not worth posting. Anyway, I went off topic a bit so my apologies. Should you ever decide to go to the KTP please drop me a line, I know the place intimately and would love to help you with the itinerary and preparations.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post