Thread: Mr Pointy

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mr Pointy

Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry Gabriela, I know you like to call Rhino's this, so I just 'adopted/borrowed it' for the title.

Again, another from the archives, techs are a bit off ie SS, but you learn and move on... Shot on foot, but on reflection I would have liked to have laid down to get a lower POV, but I'm just a bit worried about 'slithering' things, so kneeling was OK. Shortly after taking this another two Rhinos joined us, again shot with Rachel.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Solo rhino drinking
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/400s at f/11 ISO800
    Original format: Portrait, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2018

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

The title grabbed me immediately - love it!

This really looks good for low SS And I like the drinking pose and especially reflection. Good separation between subject and BG. POV works for me, not sure going lower would have made a big difference?

Colours/tonality spot-on and consistent with lighting conditions and time of the day. Nice composition too, good proportion, the water in the FG balances the image nicely.

Glad Mr. Pointy had his eyes open, it makes a huge difference. And happy to see he is "complete", there are not many around here with a horn, Steve.

Enjoyed viewing and I thank you for sharing -no nits from me, I think your processing is impeccable - hope to achieve this some day

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Totally agree with gabriela{ think your processing is impeccable } even at a relatively low shutter speed this looks spot on!,texture of the skin looks really natural and do like the reflection.

Keith.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - This turned out very well and I don't think Mike would have let us lay down. We would have been too vulnerable to those nearby dagga bulls. Love the crisp reflection and the textures on the hide that you have brought out so well. Good choice on the dof. I would have to look back but doubt I stopped down that much. I think it worked as good trade off to the ss here. Yes, you could have upped the ISO but not how you were shooting then. It's part of your evolution as a photographer and part of why we all continue to go back.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Your images always standout in terms of IQ and details, this one is no different either. I also liked the reflection and you handled the light very nicely as well. Great PP work as usual . Superbly done. TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame of this big guy. Like the detail throughout and the lowish angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

Yes, you could have upped the ISO but not how you were shooting then. It's part of your evolution as a photographer and part of why we all continue to go back.
    Yep you are right, I could have done that Rachel, say 1600 and that would have helped, but we all learn from our errors and move on, hopefully improving for the next one. Evolution for sure, I doubt I keep any well trodden path for more than two months, as both technology and learning progresses it's all about 'honing' and most of this week has been that.

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,
    late to the party,well late to everything at the mo. I agree on the impecable processing! Steve I really like your framing the reflection and especially the clarity in the water .No nits tech points noted. The scene is so beautifully tranquil Steve TFS lovey to see!!

take care

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve TFS lovey to see!!
    Cheers Stu, lets hope this isn't reality and that our children's children will have an opportunity to see them to - in the wild and not on a website, TV or in a book.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the low POV and the side lighting Steve.
    TFS