Thread: Last Light Great Horned Owlet.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Last Light Great Horned Owlet.

Attached Images Attached Images

From last month, where three owlets had branched out. This was the only one exposed from the thick pine branches. Pretty much the last sunlight of the evening, as you can see fro the exif. I did go up to ISO 3200 for 1/80s., and then removed the TC for an additional stop of light, but this is the only image of the series I kept due to the direct stare I got (the only time it did so). Yes, handheld, but lens braced solidly against a tree.

Canon 7D II + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/40s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, FF, reduced a few highlights in the BG, and NR applied to the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one took my breath away. The only thing that bugs me is the vertical branch in the center that it too close to the bird.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a find Daniel, love this one with the fuzz and gorgeous eyes. Habitat is nice too, I agree with Artie re the closer branch, it takes time but I think it is possible to remove

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie echoes exactly my opinion as well.With some TLC and good cloning you could remove that branch!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey guys, yep, that branch bugs the heck out of me, and it did in the field while creating the images. Moving right was impossible, unfortunately. Thankfully the subject is sorta kinda cute! I may try to remove it, but for all the patience I have in the field, I do not have as much for post processing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, great eye contact, and love the fuzzy plumage. Of course we can see the late light nicely which in turn has brought our the warmer colours.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely fledgling, lovely light. Branch noted but still a wonderful image. Thank you for sharing, Dan.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Annoying or not, I'd leave the branch. It is what it is, agree with your feelings about spending (endless) time processing and retouching.
    That's the beauty of photography, you keep going and then eventually you get a better image with time.
    Love this shot Daniel!
    TFS mate