Thread: Tasty

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tasty

Attached Images Attached Images

I revisited a sequence I shot of a very tame Red Fox near Sydney three years ago and thought this frame is worth sharing.
    She was at a beach and the BG is just some bushes, with sand surrounding her.
    Cleaned up some grains from near her eye, otherwise untouched. Full frame image.
    Canon 5DMkIII, EF500mm f/4L IS USM, ISO1600, f/8, 1/250th, HH, manual mode

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Akos -- I liked the tongue sticking out , it gives the image another dimension. Not sure abt the colours as I am not familiar with them but looks as if some reds are creeping in especially in the whites. Details look good but with more ss it would have been slightly better but on the other hand the slow ss has resulted in the movement of the tongue which actually looks very nice. Slightly strong in terms of contrast . Lets see what others have to say.

TFS !

3. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now doesn't that look better Akos.

Love the light, but having the sequence of the tongue just nails the image and hint of canines. DoF looks good, you have the sharpness and steady hand, but I might have gone to ISO2500 just for a fraction more SS, but this looks good. Maybe a fraction less on the amount of sharpening, but again this is 'perceptual' so all personal tastes. Might still reduce the blue and loose the 'blob' on the LHS for a 'cleaner' backdrop but having a bit more tonal detail has helped. Overall - a nice portrait.

Looks like you also have resolved the Profiling too, hope it's helped the workflow.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. I made some adjustments as per Steve's suggestions privately.

Steve, you know I think you are so generous with your time and advice. I cannot thank you enough. You are a good man!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Akos you have got some nice detail and sharpness @1/250 very impressive,red looks about right of a Fox in good condition and nice light,great how you caught him licking his nose.very nice.

Keith.

8. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, you know I think you are so generous with your time and advice. I cannot thank you enough. You are a good man!
    You are more than welcome Akos, if it fits in there is always time, all I do is try to point you in the right direction, the rest is all down you guys to pick up the batten.

10. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Akos,

Beautiful portrait, love the light here and colour of this fox. Nice framing too and BG is superb. But I do agree with Steve, the blob must go

I also like the focused expression from the subject and those lovely alert eyes ( BTW that pink tongue makes me think of a rose petal)

Despite low SS you managed to pull this off It is well processed too. Glad you listened to the good man, he is always there to guide us...

Cannot wait to see more from you - I took great pleasure viewing this frame.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

12. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos - It was worth revisiting this image. The tongue adds a nice element as do the visible teeth. Beautiful warm light. Watch the blues creeping in in the shadows, most evident in the white fur down the left side as viewed. Yes to more ss as a good practice.

TFS,
    Rachel

14. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is beautiful Akos. Love the light, side-look and clear engagement of the fox with whatever it is looking at. The tongue lick really lifts this for me. Nice composition and background (I don't mind the blobs and uneveness as I think it looks more natural without being distracting). Nothing I'd change here. Of course, seeing a fox is always nuanced for us in Australia given their status as feral pests that have decimated the local wildlife.

16. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post