Thread: Sydney Dingo

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sydney Dingo

Attached Images Attached Images

While Blue Mountains folk would cringe at me thinking this is Sydney, well, Glenbrook kind of is, it's on Sydney's western outskirts just on the west side of the Nepean River.
    This image is from a few years ago. My friends and I were just leaving Euroka Campground at Glenbrook, when I noted this old Dingo (Aussie wild dog) hanging near the edge of the camping area.
    Normally they are rather shy and luckily, I always have the lens with camera ready to shoot on the front seat, so I managed a few frames.
    Light does not get into this gully at all during dawn or dusk (well, not good enough for those great warm shots) so had to take this. My friends always pack their gear up, so they never got a shot. :D
    You can tell from the movement in the hind left leg, that this Dingo was not going to stop. Soon after this, he disappeared into thick scrub.

1D MkIII, 500/4L IS with 1.4x, ISO1600, f/5.6, 1/200th, hand held on window sill of car, slight crop for presentation.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Akos,

So nice to see a different species here in the Wildlife Forum:) Beautiful alert pose from this Dingo and I like the facial expression, especially those beautiful eyes. Good POV.

I realise this is an older image and your field skills have improved tremendously since - but I guess you'll agree, 1/200s not enough? Don't mind the blur on the hind legs because it suggests movement but I feel there's just not enough detail on the face.

Colours overall look good, perhaps you could lift the blacks to reveal more detail (nose and gums) and look for a slight blue cast on the nose, gums and whites of the chest.

Have you a tad more at the bottom of the image or this is FF? Pity you did not have time to remove the extender but those things happen fast. Subject was on the run, so glad you managed to capture a few shots of this handsome fellow

Thank you so much for sharing, and looking forward to more images from you VERY SOON

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, don't think I've seen one of these posted, so great!!!

Firstly, somewhere in your Save for Web set up, you have an unchecked boxed and so the file does not have an embedded colour profile sRGB and so the colour are not showing as they should.

I quite like the framing and lowish POV, the alert look is also cool. SS for me is too low and I feel you have some motion blur in the rear, but the front has some good, fine detail. The image is a bit 'sooty' and dark in parts but not chocked, not through exposure, but some simple corrections I think address this and it's not just moving the Contrast slider, that does not address Contrast correction. I also think WB is off, but that could be down to the wrong profile.

Hope others chime in with some different thoughts, but here's my take FWIW, I've not added any additional sharpening.

All the best.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela and Steve.
    I admit, I normally use actions in PS CC for final image resizing and have not yet set them up on my new PC, which is just a week old. I had them set on my Mac with sRGB as the embedded colour profile for web images. Give my an uppercut Steve in July!

I will definitely revisit the series of shots tonight as, I posted this near midnight last night in somewhat of a rush and naturally overlooked a couple of steps I'd normally take. I think the file is sharp enough considering SS and circumstances, but had I have had my current body, I would have shot this at ISO10000 or more if I had to just to get more SS.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos - Good to see you posting and great to see a Dingo! Steve's rp has greatly improved the color and brought out more detail. Yes, to a faster ss but see this was your previous equipment. Love the one bent ear. Gives the dingo a bit of character.

TFS,
    Rachel

8. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve
    What are your thoughts?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had them set on my Mac with sRGB as the embedded colour profile for web images. Give my an uppercut Steve in July!
    Only if you repeat the same mistake Akos, it's just an unticked box I think, just check your Workflow path, but also have you set up Colour settings in PS too and not left things as 'factory set'.

The RP is certainly better, can't really tell so much on the overall colour & exposure as you were there I wasn't but perhaps a little up in the Exposure??? Also have you calibrated your monitor with the right settings since receiving it and make sure it's not facing a windowor any bright lights, the monitor is at eye level too. Keep me posted.

11. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely seen here Akos, love the quizzical look he's giving you and your choice of S/S whether delibrate or not has worked well and your RP suits the evening light.

Euroka brings back some great camping memories for me from the 70 's & early 80's, but there were no facilities (or fees) back then.

TFS

13. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos -- Handsome looking chap and like the pose and the look on its face. Like Steve's RP much better. Dingo has somewhat similar coat to our Indian Wilddog or Dhole. Would like to see more of it . TFS !

15. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great species to see on the forum, bro.
    With the 1Dmk3 you did as well as you could with the ISO/SS/Aperture balance ;)
    Good tip to never pack away the gear eh
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE