Thread: Bathing Martial eagle

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bathing Martial eagle

Attached Images Attached Images

Another frame from the encounter I had with this magnificent bird. It was very happy to just sit, bath and occasionally chase the fish in the 'pan', but keeping a healthy distance I think helped and gave him enough room in the 'comfort' zone. Occasionally, as here, he would call to him mate who was in the tree canopy about 500m away.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Martial eagle (Polemaetus bellicosus) calling, whilst bathing in a small pan
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 with 2x MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/3200s at f/8 ISO1600
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF on width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2018

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done on all counts. Working right on sun angle pays big dividends when you are working with high contrasts subjects (and anything else as well) :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done on all counts. Working right on sun angle pays big dividends when you are working with high contrasts subjects (and anything else as well) :)
    Cheers Artie, it means a lot!!!!

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful calling pose in a terrific habitat. Good techs. The only nit is the single stem of grass running vertically along the left side, but that is a very minor distraction in an otherwise lovely capture. Just a thought: since the reflection diminishes near the bottom and since this is nearly FF, I could imagine a second version taking some off the bottom and left, or just some off the left to keep the reflected eye at the bottom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

The only nit is the single stem of grass running vertically along the left side, but that is a very minor distraction in an otherwise lovely capture.
    Hi Bill, I actually for once left it in to gauge folks reactions. I think it should go, but occasionally it's good to do a 'sanity' check. I might also revisit the full frontal image wading through the water, as PP techs have moved on just to see. this is the FF unsharpened.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose on the eagle. Like all the environment that the bird is in. I would take out the blade of grass.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was about to ask if you keep shooting all day? I know I would.
    What a frame mate! Probably the raptor I hope to see and photograph in South Africa. So spectacular in its plumage.
    You have created a masterful photograph here Steve!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colours and tones are excellent, good to see a calling pose, makes the image more interesting (though I doubt any of us would find a martial eagle uninteresting!). The only suggestion I would make would be to move the eagle to the right a little.