Thread: Bear Cub Bonding

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bear Cub Bonding

Attached Images Attached Images

Inspired by Steve's image of the lion cubs bonding in a sweet moment, I thought i would post another image of the bear cubs bonding by sparring. It seemed that whenever 2 cubs got within an paw's distance of each other and weren't occupied by eating then they were sparring, biting and climbing on each other. I like how the one on the left looks nonchalant while just pushing his/her sibling aside. These are 2 of the one year old cubs.

Canon 7D2
    100-400 II @ 330mm
    1/1250
    f7.1
    ISO 800
    HH, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, TK luminosity masks, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another nice bear image. I like the grass and the purple flowers add a lot in my opinion. I like the playful action here and the contrasting facial expressions. Good look at the claws too which is nice. I think I would try to sharpen the left one a tad more. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one Rachel lovely playful scene,makes me cringe a bit with that claw so close to the others eye,looks like some strong sunlight from behind casting a shadow on the face but you have coped very well.

Keith.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one too Rachel. The left hand cub seems to be rather superior and is subjugating the club on the left with some ease of effort. I wonder was it so easy a few seconds later?
    It looks just a tad bright overexposed to me, were the fringe hairs on the left hand club blown at capture? It may well be that your version is just about spot on, I keep forgetting you often have much brighter light over there than here in UK.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Alex, Keith and Jon. I'm glad you like this one. It was taken around 1:30 p.m. so definitely the light was a bit strong. Jon - None of the hls are blown on my monitor or in the histogram. If I check in levels, I can bring the white point in to about 240 before I get any hot spots and that's in the teeth of the rhs cub. There's detail there, it's just that those guard hairs are super fine. Are you seeing something different in the histogram?

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, no I didn't download it's just me thinking that club on LHS is very pale, (it probably was and I didn't appreciate how pale they can be).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon. Yes, the cub was very blonde. North American brown bears/grizzlies come in a wide range of colors from light blonde to dark chocolate brown with lots in between including differing amounts of reddish color too.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I would think they are more 'play fighting' than 'bonding' judging on those paws & claws.

Hard to know if there was a better angle as the LH cub with the sun coming from the LHS is creating a shadow on the RH cub, but I think on the face it helped to get more tonal detail. Personally I might have gone a tad lower, but not a deal breaker, likewise are they too central and should there be a bit more space to the right? Nice encounter.

TFS
    Steve

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the playful interaction and faces on these 2 young ones Rachel, for mid day lighting you've done about the best one could hope to expect, the purple hue/flowers in the FG grasses enhancing nicely.

TFS

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beside the direction of light, about which there's little you could really do unless they changed positions while they were playing around, I like the image.
    I would normally like a bit more space to one side myself (noted Steve's comment), but I feel in this instance there is somewhat of a triangle created by
    their butts near the lower corners of the frame and the peak of the action pretty much in the upper center. So it is not a big issue for my taste.
    Thanks for sharing :)

13. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, Marc and Akos

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

Can we have some sound, please? I am sure the play was accompanied by some grunting and snarling, LOL.

It must have been awesome to watch this scene and I bet you have a great number of frames from this encounter. Love the interaction and especially the cub on the RHS with its mouth open and teeth visible.

Well captured under those lighting conditions, techs look good and your PP work reveals nice detail where needed most. Composition works for me.

Happy with this as presented, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

16. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post