Thread: Sloth bear close up

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sloth bear close up

Attached Images Attached Images

Sloth bear sightings are rarer than tiger sightings. So we were fortunate to see bear take nice bath and then walk in the open before disappearing in the woods. I chose to share this image as I like this close up which shows details. Do share your views and comments.

Nikon D850, Nikon 600 mm f4.0
    1/800 s, f/8.0, ISO 6400, EV+0.67

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, a nice encounter and a pleasant surprise too. For me they always look a bit scruffy compared to the Black & Brown bears, but just as formidable.

Good to see you pushing the techs and it's the first image I've seen from the 850 at this ISO. I would drop the Blue by perhaps over 50% as the top part of the head will look better, as presented it standouts too much. Reducing the exposure to on a diagonal on the LHS will help the brighter elements in the BKG. Love the crossed front paws, open mouth and head angle, good to see those claws too, excellent digging tools. The square crop works, albeit a bit tight around for me, if you can zoom out a bit I think the image will benefit. Overall a nice encounter and I like the POV, it all came together for you.

The only thing I don't like is the frame, i find it jars with the presentation, lets see what others think, but I would ditch it and let the image say it all.

TFS
    Steve

BTW I was just sent a Tiger relaxing in the water with a sloth bear about 30m in front, good timing with your posting.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jay:)

A Sloth Bear! Indeed a very rare sighting and the pose is fantastic, love the open mouth and visible tongue as well as raised paw. Great POV and HA as well as eye contact.

You processed this very well and I like the detail. Would love to see an RP with Steve's suggestions, if you have time to do so.

In terms of composition I too think the square format works well, although it is a bit tight. Completely agree with Steve regarding frame, I feel it draws attention from the subject. Less is more

So glad to see you posting again and delighted to see a species I have never encountered in real life - thank you so much Jay

Have a wonderful week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay - First thing that drew my attention on opening was the frame, in a negative way. Another vote to get rid of it. Steve has made good suggestions regarding colors and tones. I do wish for a bit more room above and below. I might have gone for a portrait rather than landscape orientation in the field if I wanted to isolate the head and forelegs.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really cool portrait and pose from an animal I've never seen. This is also my first time seeing a D850 at this ISO and things look good. I think the image is a bit tight on top and I would add a little more there and to both sides if you have it. I think the BG on the left and the claws are a bit hot as well. Another vote to lose the frame. I like the open mouth and those ears are really cool. The eyes are really nice too. TFS, really nice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, one interesting behaviour they display, as you will know, is to carry their babies on their back. I have seen some images by other photographers. It is on my bucket list. There was also an incidence last month where mama bear fought for more than 10 mins to fend of tiger while babies watched on. So they can be formidable as you noted.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will try it out. I may have some more room but not a lot at the top. I have other images, but not with the same HA and expression.

I dont know my fascination with the frames. I got same feedback in Avian forum as well. I think I am not ready to let it go...but with a heavy heart -:).

Thanks for your comments. It is very helpful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gabriel, sloth bear in wild was lifer for me. I had seen them performing on the street as a child. I am very glad that practice is banned in India for many many years now. No more frames !! As always, your comments are appreicated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I promise you no more frames !!! Encouraged by comments received from all of you, I am trying to get more fundamental understanding of color management so that I can see these things more readily. In this instance I did see that part of the head was looking grey rather than black, but did not know how to fix it. Now Steve has suggested the way so will try it out later. In the field there was not much time.

To give you a sense of how the image was shot, there were several vehicles taking pictures. Then bear gets out of the water and starts moving away from all. So now there is mad rush by several vehicles to get to a spot where the bear is walking towards us. You have to hold your gear tight to ensure it's not thrown over. And then it's all over (I am sure Steve has experienced this). So you grab whatever images you can. I do have some images with 70-200 mm lens with more of an environmental shot, but I liked this close up best for details and HA. Cheers.

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your suggestions. Will try it out. I may have some more room but not a lot at the top. I have other images, but not with the same HA and expression.
    You are welcome.

Yes, it's always the way that you have a great HA and the rest not so, or vis versa... It's great what you achieved and all this is in a single moment and I think folk have to understand how difficult it is to shoot in these reserves because of the tight restriction and the 'sea' of vehicles, unless you have been there you have NO idea. Massi Mara can be **** at times, but India is a totally different ball game.

I dont know my fascination with the frames. I got same feedback in Avian forum as well. I think I am not ready to let it go...but with a heavy heart
    Jay - frames can have their place, especially when printed, but posting an image for critique I do feel just adds a distraction that the image doesn't need, especially when it's as good as this.

I'm just curious now on how you are going to follow this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the detail extracted in the dark fur here Jay, granted the ISO level, plus the low POV & look to camera is always nice. would like some more room all round if that was possible, agree on ditching the framing, it's always best to let the image stand on it's own IMO.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Get rid of that frame mate! :) Agree with all comments about it.

I like the portrait, you have done a good job with the higher than normal ISO. However, Nikons are (I believe) somewhat better at the high ISO stuff than Canons. Although the 1Dx MkII is surprisingly good from what I have experienced and seen.
    I only wish the bright area was not immediately behind the bear's head, but there's probably not much you could have done. I hope you get more opportunities with these gorgeous mammals in the future. :)
    A more horizontal presentation would work well for me personally.

Thanks for sharing.