Thread: Unmasked....Australian Masked Owl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Unmasked....Australian Masked Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I located a recently fledged female Australian Masked Owl in Sydney a couple of years ago.
    She was stunning and had a brother (smaller) and darker in plumage.

Canon EOS 1D MkIV, EF500mm f/4L IS USM, ISO400, f/8, 1/100th, 600RT flash with beamer on Wimberley bracket, hand held.
    Small crop.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, I dont know much about flash photography but I really like this Akos. Lovely soft sheen on the face. The background sets of the bird nicely and she / he is taking a sneaky look at you as well.Nice perch too,

3. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good Ákos, nice smooth lighting, great concentrating pose, and good skill finding the bird in the right place. Maybe take out the small plant below the bird?

5. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, looks good, the fill-in flash is just enough I think, although personally I never like to use flash on nocturnal subjects, but thats just me .

It looks very much like our Barn owl, very similar plumage & characteristics. PP looks good too, retaining a lot of the softer aspects of the plumage. Some of the brighter whites look a fraction 'hot' but certainly not blown so I might try to address those without going grey. Not sure if the tip of vegetation creeping in at the foot is doing anything, might be tempted to prune it. You say HH, so how does the bracket work as mine attaches to the gimbal? Will take mine with me next month plus a new ball head, (awesome), a lot of new gear going on test, hope we are able to sink a few beers if we can hook up.

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good for being shot with flash. Like the composition here.

9. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, beautiful bird, nicely shown. As commented by others it looks very similar to our Barn Owl. I know little regarding flash so that is for others to comment on. I would have been begging the bird to look towards me the face is so distinct and wonderful. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

11. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, excellent overall exposure, and the flash is very subtle. Great detail on the face, and we have a great view of those talons - The 'Silent Hunter'. Cool pose and nicely separated from the BG.

13. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good work with the flash. Lovely detail and a great pose.

15. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Akos, looks good, the fill-in flash is just enough I think, although personally I never like to use flash on nocturnal subjects, but thats just me .

It looks very much like our Barn owl, very similar plumage & characteristics. PP looks good too, retaining a lot of the softer aspects of the plumage. Some of the brighter whites look a fraction 'hot' but certainly not blown so I might try to address those without going grey. Not sure if the tip of vegetation creeping in at the foot is doing anything, might be tempted to prune it. You say HH, so how does the bracket work as mine attaches to the gimbal? Will take mine with me next month plus a new ball head, (awesome), a lot of new gear going on test, hope we are able to sink a few beers if we can hook up.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve

As you mention, definitely nothing blown. I am completely OCD with regards to ETTR and not blowing highlights. :) I'll happily revisit the frame. I was thinking whether to leave the green or not at the edge. Removing will certainly "improve" it.

My bracket attaches to the Arca Swiss plate. I think (from memory) mine is the Wimberley F-1 Flash Bracket.

I am not taking tripod or bracket, but will pack a couple of flashes and beamers into the checked luggage. We met our Kruger accommodation owner in Sydney a couple of days ago and chatted at length of night life. Heck, even if I can photograph the bush babies at night, I'll be rapt.

I'll reply to your last e-mail tonight, sorry, I had to get to bed, it was close to midnight.....
    We should get to Joburg airport by 2:00pm on 14 July. We fly Qantas, which airline are you? Absolutely, I'll drink with ya anyday!
    Last edited by Ákos Lumnitzer; 05-24-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Akos, beautiful bird, nicely shown. As commented by others it looks very similar to our Barn Owl. I know little regarding flash so that is for others to comment on. I would have been begging the bird to look towards me the face is so distinct and wonderful. Thank you for sharing.
    Thanks Joseph.
    I have shots with it facing me too. I just sort of liked this....for now.
    They are a close relative of the Barn Owl (our subspecies is: Tyto delicatula here in Oz) and even many, many so called expert birders confuse the Barn Owl with this species. There are enough obvious differences when one looks closely.

The Australian Masked Owl has:

1) Feathering all the way to the talons
    2) Very heavy legs/feet - obvious once you've seen stacks of Barn Owls, which are far more often observed. They have wimpy legs by comparison.
    3) They have a fairly apparent dark mask outline
    4) Usually they have that dark patch in front of the eye
    5) The plumage pattern is quite different
    6) They have dark bands on the underside of the primaries, around 5-6 as seen in this image here. Barn Owls not so much.
    7) Their calls are similar, but different enough for someone with good hearing and knowledge to distinguish between the two.
    Last edited by Ákos Lumnitzer; 05-24-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hot looking owl. Beautiful soft feather details here and I don't mind the head angle at all as it has the feel the bird is hunting. I would clone out the little shrub to the right of the bird.

19. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice frame with great handling ion flash Akos, well done
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

21. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, interesting to note the configuration of the flash. I rarely use flash, but will pack it, the first leg I will take it and have it on the hotshot (not ideal) but I already have an extra seat booked for all the carry on and kit and may still be over, so will leave the Wimberley gimbal in a secure location and take the new ball head, but will take it on the second leg. BTW carry on is presently at 27.5kgs!!!

Envious of the Bush babies, hope you get to see them and more like the Pearl spotted Owls, Giant eagle owl etc, you will have a blast.

No worries on replying quickly, there's plenty of time, but Monaco F1 is on this weekend so that is blocked out. Check out my question re Tusker as it would be good to know, as I'm just missing another ex BPN member by days at the second location which is a real shame.

I can see already that Amber nectar with condensation running down it...

23. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your subspecies of Barn Owl looks beautiful and it has more spots and flecking than our North American subspecies. The pose, perch, colors, details ,BG and flash work all look fantastic! Well captured Akos
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

25. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like this one a lot Ákos! Definitely doesn't look over-flashed, and the detail looks good. I do wonder if the flash was aimed a little low, as the face looks somewhat dark (of course that could be due to the fact that the face is dark). I agree with the others who recommend cloning out the plant on the right.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

27. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking fab. Lovely detail and pose. The BG colours and darkness sets this one perfectly. Nice frame mate.

Will

29. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post