Thread: Whitetail Doe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whitetail Doe

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 5/15/18 at 7:26PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    562mm
    ISO 3200
    f7.1
    1/1600sec

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, beautiful light and BG makes this image special. Nice details and pose as well. On my monitor, which is not calibrated, greens look oversaturated.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - This is a tough one comp-wise with the doe turned. I might have centered her a bit more but not a deal breaker. The colors and sat look like some of the images you posted when you first joined BPN. I do think the wb was off and that the image seems too warm even in the shaded areas. I adjusted the WB with the eye dropper and also dropped the sat overall. The pinks in the bg really add to the image for me.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, you seem to be lucky with your encounters with the deer, nice relaxed Doe with some warm light.

Is the WB out, a fraction for me, but not by a long way I feel, although I will ask if you have 'processed' the image in the Raw stage or chose a 'filter' from the new upgraded LR/ACR to achieve the colour? The crop isn't working for me, it's just too loose and the subject 'floating' within frame and so a tighter crop I feel helps. I also think the image needs rotating, (John read p82 - 83 of your manual if you haven't already, I think it will aid you) albeit that it looses a lot of the FG grass, however, you can get around this if you want. I've also extracted a bit more tone/detail within the 'coat' of the Doe for more tonal depth. Your call, but the HL's on the two smaller tree trunks are a tad distracting, but not a massive deal breaker. The techs for me work and the blacks/contrast nicely controlled.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John the colours look very vibrant to me, I would suggest having a look at a different camera profile in LR either Camera Neutral or Adobe Neutral, it was suggested to me a while back and it is good advice. You can always of course add more colour to taste.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    John the colours look very vibrant to me, I would suggest having a look at a different camera profile in LR either Camera Neutral or Adobe Neutral, it was suggested to me a while back and it is good advice. You can always of course add more colour to taste.
    Thanks Jonathan. I usually change the profile to camera faithful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi John, you seem to be lucky with your encounters with the deer, nice relaxed Doe with some warm light.

Is the WB out, a fraction for me, but not by a long way I feel, although I will ask if you have 'processed' the image in the Raw stage or chose a 'filter' from the new upgraded LR/ACR to achieve the colour? The crop isn't working for me, it's just too loose and the subject 'floating' within frame and so a tighter crop I feel helps. I also think the image needs rotating, (John read p82 - 83 of your manual if you haven't already, I think it will aid you) albeit that it looses a lot of the FG grass, however, you can get around this if you want. I've also extracted a bit more tone/detail within the 'coat' of the Doe for more tonal depth. Your call, but the HL's on the two smaller tree trunks are a tad distracting, but not a massive deal breaker. The techs for me work and the blacks/contrast nicely controlled.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, This was taken just as the sun started to dip behind the trees so i feel the light was pretty warm. Yes, i processed the raw, no filters here. I also rolled back Lightroom to the previous version. The new update seems pretty ridiculous to me. I am surprised how close my original post and your repost are except for your crop which i quite like.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John the colours do look a bit vibrant to me but you where there with the light and the colours,think the Deer itself looks lovely nice natural detail and sharpness,very nice image.

Keith.