Thread: Are you stalking me?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Are you stalking me?

Attached Images Attached Images

Tigress T-41 does not look to happy with the attention we were paying her. I am, or was, not in to B&W images. But was introduced to David Yarrow work and then did some more looking into it and felt that for some images B&W may work better or at least provide a different images. So please comment on PP and creative part of the image as I would like to get better at both.

Nikon D500, Nikon 70-200 mm f/2.8

1/640 s, f8, 185 mm, ISO 450

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, personally I'm not a big lover of subjects like Tigers being converted to B/W, I just don't think it works as you loose all the splendour and majesty of the subject. Elephants, Rhino's, Cape Buffalo work well, even Lions for some reason, but Tigers... however that's just my take. I have seen shots in B/W and more so in IR, but they just always loose something for me.

I think the framing works OK, perhaps there is another option but without the FF image hard to say. Although the Tiger is still, I personally would like a bit more SS, that's just me as you had ISO on your side. The image still retains a 'grainy' feel, as if a 'Film technique' has been applied, more noticeable in the FG. I quite like the tonal range, although I think you could push it perhaps a bit more , but the two bright grass stems on the RH are a bit distracting. Again, I like the inquisitive look and open mouth.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay - I think the tiger itself looks ok. I'm not a fan of the brighter area of rocks/bg through the front legs and the two stalks that Steve pointed out. I too can't help but feel that this would be more majestic and impactful in color.

TFS,
    Rachel

4. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this. I am viewing it from my laptop but think it needs a bot more "pop" ie a slight level adjustment but otherwiese no nits.
    i like the off center placement. I would evict or tone down the 2 bright stalks on right of bird.
    Nice to see something a bit different,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Jay, not working for me either,

I do like the attentive open mouth pose but do agree with Steve, somehow Tigers in B&W just don't work for me, plus you have this burn/dodge halo around the tiger which distracts from the B&W mood you're trying to achieve and the overall tonal range isn't varied enough IMO.

Worth a RP in colour perhaps?

TFS
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 05-23-2018 at 07:10 AM.

7. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, "two bright stalks on the RH" -- I am always amazed how much you and Rachel and Gail and many others on this forum "see". As i mentioned B&W is a new thing for me so experimenting a bit. I saw David Y siberian tiger images and those pale to his images of lion, elephants, etc. So I can understand your comments.

But my sense is that tiger skin has interesting texture and those stripes should make an interesting image under certain light conditions and situations. So will be experimenting a bit.

Thanks again for your comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, noted your comments with thanks and my responses are similar to Steve.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Marc.. Yes I see now what you have pointed out.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As i mentioned B&W is a new thing for me so experimenting a bit. I saw David Y siberian tiger images and those pale to his images of lion, elephants, etc. So I can understand your comments.
    Check this guy out too: Nick Brandt

But my sense is that tiger skin has interesting texture and those stripes should make an interesting image under certain light conditions and situations. So will be experimenting a bit.
    Then I would suggest you go tighter in Jay and just frame those areas so it's more abstract & textures

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay -- I do personally try BW conversions on tiger but somehow it doesn't appeal to the viewers. But still one can always try . As far as the image is concerned , Marc has echoed my thoughts .

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry not for me either Jay, also the fur looks a little gritty/coarse maybe oversharpened?
    I have to admit I would love to go to photograph the tigers but several times it has been indicated that the tigers would appear to be a bit irritated to say the least by the presence of photographers. I suppose without tourism there would be less finance, and less finance less tigers looking simplistically.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not Exactly Jon: Tourism is not abt finance only but awareness in general as well , which in turn has helped save tigers as well as other animals and birds . Off-course there are negative aspects as well, one of them being over crowding during a tiger sighting but this doesn't happen in all the parks and to all the tigers. And as far tigers are concerned they dont get irritated in 95% of the case. There are numerous places where tigers are relaxed in human presence but people always opt for parks offering frequent sightings and thus over crowding in the process.

Better it is to go and visit the forest and find out for yourself, I am sure with proper guidance and expert people you will have a great experience in witnessing this cat.

Sorry for going off the topic and hijacking your post Jay.

15. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb I fully appreciate the point you are making.