Thread: Common Grackle Threat Display.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Grackle Threat Display.

Attached Images Attached Images

While scouting a local wetlands area, two Common Grackles landed closely together and facing each other, right in front of me. They immediately both held this pose as a threat display towards each other. I was too close to include both birds, even too close for just one, but by going vertical I was able to compose this image closeup of the behaviour. The poses were held for about 20 seconds, most of the time with the nictitating membrane closed, but they would open it from time to time for a good view of the eye.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF, lightened a some of the darker areas of the BG, and desaturated some of the yellows as well.
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 05-20-2018 at 06:24 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting behavior, great timing catching the eye not covered. The blue head and neck are striking. Techs look great as always. Thank you for sharing, Daniel.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting story and pose here, Daniel. Your handling of this in capture and processing is up to your usual high standard with well controlled highlights, shadows and detail where it matters. Love that sheen around the head. Simply gorgeous. I wonder if this would work even tighter, given the constraints you outlined. Nice to see the eye clearly too, but given what you observed, I'd have been happy with nictitating membrane in place for this as it is showing what nature does and would cause a second look and search for an explanation. All the same, a fine image as presented.

PS, I think you must have your BPN set up to display with a dark background so your very pale text would be fine. However, for those like me reading on a pale background it is almost illegible.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really cool -- I've never seen this behavior before from them. The colors look great and I love that one feather sticking up. The water on the bird is nice too. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see these birds all the time. Never saw any of them do this. Timing was spot on here.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Way to go Dan, wonderful display behavior, and I love the lone up feather... I had a pair on top of scrub bush last month and they were fanning their tails and then went between the branches and... Great colors