Thread: African elephant

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default African elephant

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken from car in Kruger park, Letaba region, early morning overcast.
    Canon 5D III, Canon 100-400 L IS II @142mm, ISO 1000, 1/1000 sec,f8
    ACR + PSCC
    Not an exceptional image by any stretch of the imagination but I quite like this because I think it shows very simply how BIG he is! I was waiting for the ears to open out but when they did it was not fully and he was at the wrong angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wonderful specimen of a bull here Jonathan,

with your position just low enough to indicate the size, nice inclusion of habitat, despite the weather conditions, shame about the branch across the tusk.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man, that guy is big and I agree that the POV really emphasizes how big this guy is!
    I would clone out that branch on RHS in a "New York Minute" but understand if that is against your ethics.
    I like the overcast sky- tells the viewer it is not always sunny in Africa!!
    Do you have a bit more room on the right? I am OK with the squarish comp but could see a version with a bit more on right.
    Gail

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - This works quite well. He is a big bull and as Marc and Gail said, your pov really helps to emphasize this. The sky looks ominous. Colors look good and you have brought out nice texture on the ele's hide. Perhaps a little more below and to the rhs if you have it but not a deal breaker.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, glad to see you got one of these 'Big Old Units' on your travels, impressive aren't they.

The image gives scale and I like the overall tones and colour palette, but I'm not loving the choice of crop, it's just a bit too tight for me, as I guess you cropped from landscape/ Have you any shot portrait?

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I am really pleased you liked it, I thought it would perhaps be a little ordinary for regular visitors to Africa. I'll take another look at composition and see if I took portraits....... from what I can remember it was rather messy all around. .... Yes found a portrait but not really what we would have liked , he was walking down the road.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 05-20-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Not an ordinary frame, by all means - impressive elephant bull and I gather you were fairly close, what a wonderful experience!

Just an observation, it is possible the subject was munching on the end of that intersecting branch

Talking about those ears, had he opened them and stopped munching I would have probably left the scene, LOL... been chased too many times.

And I am very glad you decided not to "warm up" the scene, the overcast sky adds lots of mood. Colours spot-on and detail/tonality is great. So is sharpness. I am a little tempted to clone out a particular branch at the top

Thank you Jon for visiting "my side of the woods" and then sharing your wonderful images with us!

BTW the nearest Kruger gate is about four hours drive from where I live

Have a lovely evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

4 hr drive Gabriela? I'd be there at least monthly, what a place to be! I think you will know but the conservation fee associated with entrance and can be bought for a year as opposed to each trip, I made the mistake of paying a conservation fee with each of the camps, I could have saved about 3,500 Rand!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 05-22-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with you Jon, Kruger is indeed a wonderful place.

And I do have a Wild Card and Rhino Card which I renew every year

Would you believe it, I have only been to the Kruger three times. Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve is about 15 minutes drive from my gate, it is smaller than Kruger but has the same wildlife and some beautiful scenery.

My village (Hluhluwe) is surrounded by private reserves so I am spoilt for choices. Time is the only issue, unfortunately I work on Saturdays...
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- pretty late on this but the huge elephant against the dark sky looks fantastic. Loved the tones and the details in this image , nicely done . Enjoyed viewing this one . TFS !

11. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed about branch across tusk, but otherwise I love the inclusion of habitat, the sheer appearance of his size in the frame.
    You have managed some wonderful details too. I wish for sunny mornings and evenings for our visit with good cloud cover during the day. Man, I am not asking for much! LOL!

Thanks for sharing this Jon!