Thread: Northern Shoveler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Shoveler

Attached Images Attached Images

Northern shoveler drake. This image was created at Montezuma national wildlife refuge in Tyre, New York on 5/5/18 at 8:46AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and photoshop.

Hand held, Big crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 800
    f8.0
    1/2500sec

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,
    I always wonder what each person's definition of a big crop is? What is yours? For me anything bigger than 40% ie leaving 60% of the frame is a big crop. Of course, the bar has been changed with these high megapixel cameras.
    I love these ducks.
    You have nice, clean water and have shown the green iridescent cheek very nicely.
    I am not sure about the little fly in the RUC. Kind of cool but a bit far away from the duck to tell a story.
    You were shooting under rather harsh light and that has resulted in the whites being blown on the breast and the blacks on the bill being very chocked.
    The only good images that I have of these guys is in overcast conditions!
    TFS,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Hi John,
    I always wonder what each person's definition of a big crop is? What is yours? For me anything bigger than 40% ie leaving 60% of the frame is a big crop. Of course, the bar has been changed with these high megapixel cameras.

Gail
    Thanks Gail, A big crop to me is 50% or more. If the megapixels keep going up in 5-10 years everybody will be using 200 megapixel cameras and be cropping everything 85-90%.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These guys are such cool ducks! I'd lose the insect, and reduce the contrast (which seems rather strong here). Good sharpness, and I like the many ripples in the water.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It looks good here on the web browser. Lovely colours and light, but the POV is not ideal for my taste.

Big crops don't make for good images IMHO. I prefer to compose as close to how I want the final image to be. If I can get away without cropping, I am stoked. If I get to crop 10-15% I am happy. Any more and I am not.
    I said even five or more years ago when I would sometimes shoot with a 21mpx 5D MkIII, what's the point of having all those megapixels if I am throwing away most of the image? I am obviously not "everybody" as I would not be cropping much even with 200 MPX camera bodies. Maybe more MPX will weed out the photographers with poor shooting technique, but the detail one can get would be insane.