Thread: Theme: Me and my reflection

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: Me and my reflection

Attached Images Attached Images

A flock of beautiful short-billed dowitchers in breeding plumage were camped out on the water's edge as the high overcast started to burn off, but they were amassed in the dreaded "clump formation" that sleeping or resting birds tend to prefer (safety in numbers, after all!). At one point, this individual took a few steps away from the group and went back into sleep mode, so I decided to try a vertical shot that would get the reflection, even if it's a bit muddled by the tiny bit of wind on the water, and it also picked up some of the morning colour from the clearing sky. I took lots of shots, but only this one had what I'd consider a good head angle; the rest had the head angled away, even though the body is angled towards the viewer.

1/200 @ f/7.1, ISO 400
    5D mkIV, 500mm f/4 IS, 1.4x TC III
    DPP/Photoshop

C&C away,
    Jake

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this, Jake. I think I commented on an earlier image of yours that I like seeing the bird's shadow as well as its reflection. I'm guessing now that its shadow is on the bottom rather than on the water surface. Nice composition, color, and detail.

3. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with David. Very nice image. lovely pose, feather detail, the reflection adds, and I like your chosen crop.

Will

5. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hadn't really looked at where the shadow lies until you pointed it out! Yes, it does appear to be on the sand bottom as opposed to the water, which is really just a few millimetres deep. Thanks very much to you and Will for your comments! I'm glad you like the shot.

Jake

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like this capture a lot, Jake. Great pose on one leg, the shadow and reflection add nicely. Beautiful breeding plumage colors.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu