Thread: Feeding time

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Feeding time

Attached Images Attached Images

I look forward to some CC here. This blue-footed booby in the Galapagos had a new chick and while I was photographing it (her?), she quickly fed the chick and I was right there for the shot. This image is not cropped at all because I had time to compose it in the frame. I wish the color were a bit more vibrant but it was late on a cloudy afternoon and anything I've tried to enhance the color just makes things worse. I also wish I could have got lower to improve the BG, but then the front edge of the nest would have cut off part of the chick. As it is, you can't see its foot. Anyway, here it is. Canon 7DII, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L ISII at 400 mm, 1/400 at f/5.6, ISO 400.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interaction shot, the chick looks spot on. If this is accurate to the colours on the day then I wouldn't worry too much about adding in extra saturation. You don't mention your ISO but a bit more SS may have helped sharpen mums eye up a bit.

As it is, I tried adding a little more contrast with a curves adjustment, making sure the brightest whites on Mum were not affected, gave mums head a bit more sharpening, then sharpened the chick about half as much as I gave mum, then finally saturated mums eye a touch. Absolutely no idea if this is accurate or not as I've never seen these birds, but maybe something to have a think about

Name:  1R5A4189sga_1_1RP.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  584.8 KB

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Poole; 05-18-2018 at 09:25 AM.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks, Mike. I have added the ISO to my post; it was 400. Especially in low light, which of course is when you need it most, I don't like going much above ISO 400. What you have done makes the image better. Thanks again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, there are a few 7d2 shooters here who get really good results at ISO 1600 and above. With a little love in PP the camera can be pushed up nice and high to get the original file sharp. Top of my head I can only think of Dan Cadieux but I know there are others - maybe drop them a line for advice

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interaction here. One of the main things i have learned on here is not to be afraid of ISO. You were probably quite close raising the ISO would have allowed you to stop down some.

6. Thanks David Policansky thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again, Mike. I have seen Dan's and a few others' images. I need to walk before I can run. :) The IS on the Canon 100-400 II is so amazingly good that it covers a lot of photographic sins!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Ohhh what a shot, I like the repost and you'll be running before you know it, well, only if you stick with it and I think you are in "knee deep", I like your enthusiasm and willingness to learn and there is so much to learn, I always need help as well... Way to go David, love this interaction, keep em coming.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much, Ann. I went back to the original and I think I was so excited to see that I didn't need to crop that I didn't do ANY PP. Even my rudimentary skills are enough to improve things a bit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice David. a lovely setting with the chick. I like the moment you captured with the chicks mouth open and the mother carefully feeding. Very natural looking, well done.

Will

11. Thanks David Policansky thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, William. There were a number of charming poses but I liked this one best. This adult happened to have pale feet; others had really bright blue feet.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, a lovely parent interaction here, and well timed to capture the feeding behaviour. The little guy is so young that he doesnt have any feathers/plumage yet. Maybe a touch more room below, and I liked what Mike managed in pane # 2

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Stu. As I said, it wasn't a crop, so there's no more "below" there, but I got some others with more room below. Yes, Mike did a great job, didn't he?