Thread: Tree Squirrel

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tree Squirrel

Attached Images Attached Images

These small creatures were plentiful in the areas we covered in Botswana this past February. This is close to their actual size. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 440mm, 1/1600s, f 6.0, HH, ISO 1000.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Geoffrey,

And thank you so much for sharing with us another image from your Botswana trip! Seems this little Tree Squirrel stopped in its tracks to pose for you:)

I like the head angle here and pose, was she (or he) aware of your presence at all?

Well exposed frame with good detail, sharp where it matters. I would have preferred a cleaner BG behind the subject, but Mother Nature is quite untidy so us photographers must make the best of what we get

Just a thought, how about removing a little from the LHS of the frame? I am suggesting this for the purpose of better balance, and to have the squirrel tucked nicely between the two logs - what do you think?

I remember seeing those squirrels so the colours here look natural to me. You could perhaps drop exposure on the tree and add a bit of saturation to bring out some of those yellows/orange patches, if you like.

That's all I have in mind Geoffrey, a couple of minor suggestions:) Overall a lovely frame of this cutie and I like that little twinkle in her eye, well seen and captured

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet little guy.
    I wish those branches were not in the green BG but it is what it is!
    I really like the tree bark and the "gnarly" feel it gives to the image. Do you use Deatail Extractor. I think a mask at 1% opacity of DE applied selectively on the bark would be excellent and make the bark pop a bit more. It also automatically adds a bit of saturation. try it- you'll like it!!
    I agree with Gabriela to crop in from the left and a bit from the top to maintain ratio.
    Gail

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey - These guys sure are small. I like the pose with the tail coming down the front of the tree. Good suggestions above by Gabriela and Gail for taking this up a notch.

TFS,
    Rachel

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, Gail, and Rachel. I agree with all of your suggestions. Gabriela, as I recall he was busy foraging around the tree, and was aware of our presence as well. Gail, yes I do use DE and will take a look at your suggestion.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The first thing, that came to mind, was to crop from left and above.
    So, I am glad a few of us see that need. :)
    An endearing little creature, much cuteness there.
    I do wish you had a better OOF BG in the green behind it, but I'd take it as is.
    TFS

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Ákos.

Geoffrey