Thread: Mountain hare (terrified!)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mountain hare (terrified!)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS Auto ISO 1250 (-0.3) 1/2000 sec f8
    ACR + PSCC, I removed a few of the more obtrusive specular lights where the frost was melting. I also removed blue and magenta in PS.
    Previous images have shown the hare completely relaxed in our presence. Here it is scared, they are not too keen on low flying helicopters, once it had passed it again resumed a relaxed position, had a snooze,woke up, yawned and stretched all over again.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- What an expression , the eyes says it all ! I think you have handled the exposure especially the HL, loved the way your subject is popping against that BKG. Colours look fine to me, may be slight magenta cast in the BKG ? I would have liked to see those feet completely but can understand it might not have been possible. Nice details and sharpness as well. Nice image . TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon I always think there is mystery in the eyes of Hares,certainly this one has.Think you have the fur on this just right sharp yet soft if you know what I mean,it really is lovely.That peaty bg makes the Hare stand out so well really pop's. Excellent I'm green with envy.

Keith.
    Will give you a call.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I added the Theme prefix even though you are not eligible to win What a look of fright on the hare! I'm glad it was caused by the helicopter and not you. You handled the brighter light well. I would prefer moving the hare up in the frame slightly so there was a little more below and less above. What color was the soil? I am still seeing a lot of red in the soil.

TFS,
    Rachel

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine capture, Jonathan. I'm glad he calmed down after the helicopter passed by, and had a snooze. Great detail and very nice handling of the bright whites.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Jon, I feel so sorry for this little guy, but at the same time I must congratulate you for capturing this expression from him, great timing:)

Interesting colours and patterns on the fur, I also notice he has smaller ears in comparison with other hares - he is such a cutie...

Techs spot on, subject well exposed. Framing would have been perfect had you allowed a bit more at the bottom:)Colours look good. Cannot comment on the BG though, around here we have red soils similar to this so it looks natural to me.

Lastly, do you think you could add a bit more punch to the subject? Also, the eye is a bit "lifeless" to me. Tried not to go overboard, did a tiny levels adjustment and applied selectively then added a bit of gamma to the eye - does this work for you?

I do not think I have one Hare image in my folders... Many thanks for sharing Jon, your image put a smile on my face tonight

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 05-17-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, the Hare certainly 'pops' against the soil, good move, although to me it looks like some heat haze in the BKG? Nice detail and colour looks good, but I agree I think you could tease some more tone out, albeit a fine balance. I seem to recollect discussing the POV which is perhaps not ideal, moving more to the right would have been better judging on the images posted so far, but I think you were reluctant for fear of disturbing the hare. They seem quite relaxed so personally I would have changed my arm and quietly moved, keeping a low profile.

Techs look good and I think having the subject static, the new toy may have just given you a tad more extra.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone, I was pleased to see you quite liked it. I think the colours as portrayed are accurate, Rachel the soil is peat so it does have a reddish look to it (despite my removing magenta!). Gabriela I like what you did but I think the version I posted is more like how it was, the light was directly on the hare so the pupil would not have looked so dark.
    Well spotted Steve you are quite right there would have been some heat haze, in fact when the breeze dropped it was quite steamy (not quite so steamy as Yellowstone mind you!)

9. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another good Hare shot Jon, and that expression is priceless! Any nits already covered, and are minor, looks like it was a productive trip out

Mike

11. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, love the subject and the image. Nothing to add to what has been said already. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one made me smile!!
    Love, love the expression.
    Do you have a bit more room bottom and right. Hare feels a little bit tight there,
    gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, Jay, Gail, thanks very much, glad you liked it. There is a little more to the right but not to the base.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

We would say s h 1 t scared here in Oz!
    Love the contrasting tones in the frame. Nicely composed, great details.
    What's not to like?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Akos = we do too!