Thread: Angry Tigress

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Angry Tigress

Attached Images Attached Images

Encouraged by the comments on my previous post, I am pleased to share this image which is special to me.

This is tigress ladli (meaning darling). She had made a kill early that morning. So she was just resting under a tree. And every half and hour or so, she would get up, walk to the water hole nearby to cool down a bit and drink some water. News about tiger sightings spread fast. So paparazzi were present in droves. Ladli, like most adult tigers and tigresses, is quite used to this scene and was not alarmed or bothered because she knew these are just her admirers and present no threat. For this scene, Ladli decides that the shortest way for her to get where she wanted to rest was between the two jeeps. That jeep happened to be the one in which I was in the front seat next to the driver. So now she is barely 5 feet away. This is my third day of safari, and luckily I have had a few close sightings so I am not worried. However, suddenly Ladli turns towards our jeep, bares our teeth, before passing through. I dont recall what I felt at the moment. But our driver, who is well trained, instinctively tried to pull back. And our guide shouted him to stay put..It was all over in a few seconds. But I think I will remember this moment for a long time to come. It was a stark reminder, we were in her territory, on her terms and we needed to behave, respect their presence and be our guard all the time.

Nikon D500, Nikon 70-200 mm f/2.8
    1/500s, f/8, ISO 720.