Thread: Theme: Barking skimmer

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: Barking skimmer

Attached Images Attached Images

If you've ever photographed black skimmers, you'll recognize what this one is doing; he's calling to his mate just a few steps away, with a noise that's more akin to an ankle biter dog than a bird. I was halfway between seated and lying flat, with the tripod legs spread out and pushed into the sand, going for a blurred late-day water background that would make the black, white and orange of the skimmer really stand out. Luckily there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and when the wind calmed down, there weren't many distracting waves in the water to mess up the shot.

In post-processing, I cropped to about 70-75% (I'd misjudged where I wanted the bird in the frame on set-up, and when he raised his head to call, I pushed the button, figuring I'd rather crop a bit than miss a good shot. (What you lose in reach with a full frame camera instead of a crop factor body, I'm finding you more than make up for in image quality!). I removed a single distracting band in the water, and ran the NIK tonal contrast/detail extractor on the entire bird at 15%.

5D mkIV, 500mm f/4 IS, 1.4x TCIII
    1/2000 @ f/8, ISO 400
    DPP/Photoshop

Thanks for looking,Jake

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I say outstanding Jake, exposure, the bark, and the seamless BG, love how clear the eye is and the details throughout, excellent skill here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Blacks and whites look great. Excellent pose and details. I think I'd like just a bit more room above.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait, love the look on it's face and description of what it is doing. nice light and exposure to the light and dark areas.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the species, well exposed, open beak, good clan water as BG and catchlight in the eye. I like the composition as it is. TfS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great handling the whites and the blacks with super detail. Never have been able to get close to them in my area. Well done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes to a little more above, but otherwise a great looking frame! Colors and detail look very nice and I like the open beak pose. Well captured
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice frame Jake, I love watching Skimmers, both in flight and their antics on the ground. I love this calling pose, really well done

Mike