Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Harvest Mouse.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm 2.8
    1/1250
    iso 2000.

Harvest Mouse just coming up to breeding condition,head angle not perfect but I do like the way it's sniffing the air perhaps got a whiff of the photographer.
    Thanks for taking a look.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Keith,

Thank you so much for this beautiful little mouse, he caught my eye indeed:)

Framing is great here and I absolutely love the "sniffling" pose. Don't mind the HA, in fact it works well IMO.

Techs look good (perhaps a tad more SS would have been beneficial), but I would also like to see the F-stop value too if you don't mind I do not often ask about workflow but would be quite interested to know what steps you took in processing this frame. Is it a large crop?

Colours overall look good (natural), I notice a bit of a blue cast on the subject's neck and chest, not too obvious and easy to remove. The little white line below the tail of the mouse can also be fixed. If this was mine (mmm...I wish!) I would try another round of sharpening on the subject to bring out those delicate facial features.

Super capture indeed - I would give ten lion frames for your mouse! I do feel there's more you could do to enhance this frame and some extra detail to be extracted. It's so special, Keith, love the little chap

Just a thought, I can never match Steve's PP skills but if you wish to send me the RAW I would be happy to give it a try, you do have my email address

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith - I added the Theme prefix for you. I really like the pose and the ha is what I would expect for sniffing behavior. The tail position complements the stalk. In addition to the points that Gabriela made, I would tone down the hls on the stalk if it were mine and also there's a bit of magenta on the edges of the mouse. The dof looks about perfect to me. I too am curious what the aperture was.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith -- What a cute character , and the HA is no issue at all, infact perfect i guess considering the behaviour. Agree with the above reg blue and magenta cast and also that white line below the tail. This is a lovely image indeed which could be enhanced by applying the above suggestions.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for these comments ,child minding at the minute but will reply a bit later,Gabriela I have your e mail will come back to you soon.

Keith.

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default repost

Attached Images Attached Images

Gabriela thank you for your kind words they are very much appreciated,I will do a repost on your suggestions and also send you the raw file,Rachel thanks a lot for the prefix must put brain into gear,shot taken at F 7.1 sorry for the omission.Thanks Haseeb,agree did miss that magenta and blue ,not sure I can do a lot with the red which is always an issue with these,they change from dull almost grey to orange when coming into breeding condition,it's funny I looked at this for a long time before posting and never noticed that bit of white below the tail,put it down to age

Big help thanks a lot.

Gabriela I have sent you an e mail.
    Last edited by keith mitchell; 05-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.

8. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Keith,

I emailed you back a few minutes ago
    Not satisfied with a mere RAW, could you please send me the mouse

Have a lovely evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

(Not satisfied with a mere RAW, could you please send me the mouse) thanks Gabriela made my nightwill come back to you on the e mail.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, what I like about your image is that it reminds us that a well composed image with good background and composition can be compelling even if the subject is mouse. I see some white patch near the tail..I would have tried to see clone stamp would make it go away. Well done.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, based on this posting I think you should have taken up golf a long time ago, this is pretty much perfect.

Well framed, nicely timed for the mouse to rear it's inquisitive head, maybe a little more head turn to camera, but that's being a little picky. Can't really tell on the laptop, but based on the readings of the RP colour looks about right, you can then take it cooler or warmer. I might drop the highlights and white a little to get some tone back into the 'wheat'? Easier another way, but a bit more advanced I feel Keith. I'm glad you found the DoF dial and not shot 2.8, however with the tarp so far away creating the backdrop I might have upped the ISO to retain SS but perhaps gone for f/9.

Weather is improving so time to continue this theme and photograph more of this subject.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comment Jay much appreciated,is the white spot still there on the repost.Thanks Steve that bg is my garden fence so not sure if f9 might have picked up more detail,your kind words much appreciated will forget about golf.

Keith

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve that bg is my garden fence so not sure if f9 might have picked up more detail
    If it's far enough away then it shouldn't, but you must have a DoF preview button so try it, if not take a few frame and see.

will forget about golf.
    OK, I was looking out for a Gnome Golfer for you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve get that,certainly a lot of interest in this image.

Keith.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, what a great subject, he is such a cute little guy, I rather like the pose and his perch. I did notice a bit of a cast but the repost looks good. I would still be inclined to pull the highlights down (I don't think you have Whites on your version?), you may want to look at adding just a little clarity say around 10. Hey when's the next one coming?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Late to the party Keith, but popped in to add my appreciation for keeping this series going - as cute as ever, any minor nits already mentioned

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the clarity tip Jon I will try it on the next one.Thanks Mike much appreciated.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cracking image Keith, one of your best,

the sniffing head up pose just makes this for me, if mine I'd reduce the HL's a tad on the wheat stalk, but that's getting very picky.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Marc wish I could put it in a setting like you do.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderfully presented frame. Certainly see improvements in the RP down the panes.
    Caught the moment perfectly in my humble opinion.
    Very nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Akos pleased you like it.

Keith.