Thread: More Bears

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default More Bears

Attached Images Attached Images

I still have some bear images left. This is another one of one of the moms with one cub. I was focusing on mom and fairly close so don't think I could have gotten both in focus even if I stopped all the way down.

Canon 7D2
    300 II
    1/1600
    f7.1
    ISO 800
    Tripod, cropped slightly to eliminate small patch of blue in ulc, dropped exp by .20, levels, curves, TK luminosity masks, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Rachel,

I am very glad you haven't got both subjects in focus - IMO this works so well just as is. And I really like the way the cub is shadowing mom, noses down both of them as they are foraging, they look so preoccupied:)

Nice POV here. Beautiful textures in mom's fur. Not sure of the length of mom's limbs but it feels a bit tight for me at the bottom, was that on purpose?

Frame carefully processed with lovely colours and detail. I notice mom's fur is much lighter comparing to the little one.

I like this Rachel, very much. Was wondering whether I should suggest a tiny crop from the top, not looking for a pano as such but unsure whether the dark vegetation at the top (and little tree) contribute to the image overall?
    Sad to hear you only have a few bear image left but hope you'll still surprise us from time to time. You have shown us such wonderful encounters with the species so far, many thanks for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, excellent fur detail on mom, and I like their enviroment. I'm glad none of the grasses were obstructing her face, and I'm fine with the cub not falling in the DOF.

See you soon.

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The big bear looks so fluffy. The Lowish angle is nice i'm sure any lower and all you would be taking photos of is the grass.

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, Stu and John. Gabriela, I left the dark vegetation at the top of the frame because I think it gives a more 3D feel to the image showing the depth of the sedge field.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Rachel, I like the differential focus. Beautiful fur detail. I get the impression the image is a little overexposed and or are the yellows a little high?

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the look on Mum her fur looks so deep ,would this be her winter coat Rachel?you have got a real nice angle on these and got it just right in that tall grass,really enjoyed these Bears.

Keith.

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- again excellent details and nice low POV. Colours and exp looks fine to me. I would have liked some more space in the direction the mother bear is looking, but still works as presented . TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, again good detail and I like the focus on Mom with the cub being OOF, trailing behind, but the overall content doesn't really grab me, sorry.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, other than seeing sloth bear last month, I have not seen any wild bears. So I find them quite interesting. As others have mentioned excellent IQ and perfect PP. I like contrast in colour and texture between bears and grass and also how grass fades in sharpness and color as the distance from focal point increases. One question: you took this with 300 mm lens and using tripod, so is it not dangerous?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. Jay - these bears have lots of food sources including the sedge grasses, clams and salmon when they are running, so they don't look at people as a food source. The lodges and guides in the area go out of their way to ensure that continues to be the case. These bears are also exposed to people photographing them from the time they are young and the guides get to know their temperments. So yes, often times they get quite close but safety of bears and people is always the first priority.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a nice frame, a few stray grasses across the subjects, but not excessively for me.
    I understand your reason leaving the dark BG at top, but I would probably crop below the small, dark OOF tree in the middle.
    TFS.

18. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post