Thread: Green Rosella

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green Rosella

Attached Images Attached Images

The green Rosella or Tasmanian Rosella is a species of parrot native to Tasmania and Bass Strait islands. It posed nicely for me "offering a small posy of berries" during our trip in 2017. I know some may find the twig a distraction, so I played around with cloning it out. However, I didn't like the result so I kept it in.
    Canon 6D, 1/250th sec, f5.6, iso1600 (the 6D has great high iso/low noise performance) AV mode. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just love the bouquet of berries! Made me smile.
    I love the bright, happy colors and IQ.
    I would clone in the round blue patch in the BG to the left of the rosella.
    I have no issue with the twig.
    I wonder if you have a version that includes the entire rosella or includes the entire foot on the twig,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a neat holding the bouquet image. I did a bit of work on the silver and yellow in the BKGR and smoothed things over with a 60 pixel Gaussian blur refined at 33% via a Hide-all (Inverse or Black) Mask. I carefully selected the dark tones of the face and applied my NIK 50/50 recipe but still needed to pull the curve up a bit. All that while on morphine in the ER at Lake Wales hospital getting medicated in hopes of passing a 5mm kidney stone ...

All but the kidney stone stuff is covered in detail in the Current Workflow e-Guide (AKA BB II). Learn more or purchase here.

with love, artie

ps: you might consider a 3X2 crop from the left and above to tighten things up ... I'd would ge rid of the broken end of the branch.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 05-11-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nothing else much to do here so I executed the suggested crop.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    Thank you so much...the editing works well...subtle, but definitely an improvement. The cropping of the twig is something I never considered, but it works well too. You've certainly had some bad luck with the hernia/shoulder and now kidney stones! I hope you're back on top of things very soon. Hooray for morphine! Take care.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail. Thank you for the positive feedback and suggestions...much appreciated. I'm hoping to get back to Tasmania later this year to photograph the endemic Robins there, but New Zealand is also calling me. I think I have other shots...will check and post. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi Artie, Thank you so much...the editing works well...subtle, but definitely an improvement. The cropping of the twig is something I never considered, but it works well too. You've certainly had some bad luck with the hernia/shoulder and now kidney stones! I hope you're back on top of things very soon. Hooray for morphine! Take care.
    Glad that you liked it. My new expression, "When it pains it pours." Please do not forget how blessed I have been an am :)

with love, arite

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh wow how I love the way the Rosella is clutching those berries! I like what Artie has done. For all versions I do wish the lower foot was not clipped at the edge. A smile-maker of an image that's for sure!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Too cool. Love those berries. Nice detail on the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur, John & Daniel. Thanks so much for the feedback. I've learnt a lot since joining this forum.

Arthur...I feel the same way (blessed)...I have a wonderful family and now that I've retired from teaching (high school music...also I'm a classical guitarist) I have so much more time for photography. My only gripe is I have had Tinnitus for 4 years now (noisy days and not so noisy days)...the result of photographing a speedway event, despite having ear plugs in. I can't believe the number of people I speak to that have it. Maybe one day they'll find a cure...but I'm not holding my breath. Stay safe.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, great feedback from above, so I will also add your perfect timing to have captured the Rosella holding the berries. Well captured.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu...thank you very much for the kind comments.:)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, Paul. Many of the birds in AU are so colorful, your image shows that well. The "posy of berries" adds the image. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph. Thank you for the kind words.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Foot makes the image for sure! Colors are beautiful, and I agree that you could lose a bit of off the left hand side.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Foot makes the image for sure! Colors are beautiful, and I agree that you could lose a bit of off the left hand side.
    Foot??
    Thank you for the feedback. Cheers.