Thread: A Little Carnivore (Dwarf Mongoose)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Little Carnivore (Dwarf Mongoose)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone:)

Here's something different for you, a little carnivore that weighs a mere 300g and is about 38 cm long ( including tail which is approx. 17 cm long)

For your information Dwarf Mongooses feed on termites, all sorts of insects, reptiles, as well as scorpions. They only live for about six years and usually have two to four babies at a time ( three times a year, that is!) The pack consists of about ten or more members, nannies included. I once read that nannies compete to look after the young of the Alpha pair in order to gain favour. The Alpha female is very spoilt when she has young and has priority to choose the best "foods" when foraging - no one interferes with her feeding. Young pups are allowed to take food from the adults' mouth which I guess ensures their survival.

You will notice that the pupil is horizontal, this gives the species wider vision towards the back.

Forgot to mention, they also eat eggs. I once observed an individual in the Kalahari breaking the shell of an egg by throwing it backwards between its hind legs against a log. This is a behaviour all mongooses display, save for the water mongoose which is said to drop the egg on a hard surface from a standing position.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500F4
    ISO 500
    F7.1
    1/1250

I could have gone for more shutter speed if I were quick enough. But these chaps are super fast. Found this little fellow running along the road during this last Kruger trip, he was searching for his mate (or girlfriend ) and kept wandering in and out of the bush. Suddenly he popped up at the top of this log which is when I noticed my shutter speed slightly dropped. I took a few frames before he disappeared from sight then changed camera settings. More images to follow (with better techs) as soon as I process them. This was flipped horizontally, cropped about 30% of the initial frame, and processed in LR and PSCC.

Have a lovely evening, dear friends. Thank you so much for taking the time to view

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very big cute factor here, Gabriela and a lovely endearing image of this little one. I do like the composition too. Without knowing what these look like in real life, the colours do look natural. Only weakness I can see is the limited DOF as I would have liked more detail on the leg on the left side. I'd have thought 1/1250 for shutter speed would be OK but I'm often using lower and reminded it is risky. I did try for some mongoose shots while in Africa last year but got nothing approaching this. They are quick little critters and I think you have done well to catch this great pose.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, these are amazing and interesting little creatures and I think you have captured the character beautifully. We were lucky enough to capture quite a few images of them when in Kruger, as you say they a re pretty quick and usually have the habit of coming to rest in non photographic surroundings. In this case I think the surroundings are fine and the limited DOF works well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

With the DoF tailing off so quickly you must have been very close Gabriela? Perhaps because of it's size you wanted more to fill the frame?

I'm struggling a little bit on the 'plane of focus' as parts are sharp and others are not, may be it's these eyes? I think you were right to flip it, no harm there, but the blade of grass is a bit annoying. Like Haseeb's image, I find the BKG to blurred, did you apply anything? I do however like the warm light and colours and the HA of the Mongoose.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Good to see something different and I like the pose with the paws over the log/rock. I agree with Steve on the dof and plane of focus. I would expect more of the log to be in focus too. Yes, these guys are very quick. I remember them being gone almost as quickly as I could raise the camera. Forget about changing lenses or anything for them.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- These are difficult to photograph subjects and you have done exceedingly well in getting it framed in nice settings. I liked the details in your subject and those claws look menacing. A bit more DOF in order to get those claws sharper would have been an option , but it still works as presented. I also feel it is slightly dark or may be it is just me ?

Nice one , TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much friends:)

And welcome back, Glenn!

I do not think I put in that much thought when I captured this, it was all too sudden and erratic. Come to think of it, the Mongoose in this frame might not be the one we were following, but its mate - it popped up on the rock too quickly after we saw the other fellow wandering across the road and into the bush. I have some with both of them but I must still find the best one of the lot in terms of HA.

And I agree this frame does look a bit dark, but when I look at it in PSCC it looks better. Maybe it's my eyes or I might have shared the wrong version, I have processed this three times.
    Steve, yes the grass is annoying. I reduced contrast on the BG but not on the rocks. Could I send you a "RAW Mongoose" in a week or so and then we have a chat about it? Meanwhile, I shall look at a few more frames of those little chaps and process with your critique in mind, then share.

Very happy to hear from you all and I so appreciate your honest feedback

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

8. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, your last reply certainly rings a very distinct bell with me!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome, thank you Jon
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gaby, lovely pose, and nicely captured in the open. I like the light here, it shows up the eyes very well, as well as the tiny nose. Its always great to capture the little guys, as I never seem to see the cats anyway.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this. Looks like the mongoose is relaxing but from your description i guess not. I did not know their are different types of mongoose. This one looks pretty neat. The light is nice here with good detail.

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,Steve covered the 'plane of focus' which did make me think,love the pose he gave you and those eyes are amazing ,looks like a fast little animal that would not miss a trick.Do like this sharp looking Mammal.

Keith.

15. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Stu, John and Keith

John you are right, the little one looks relaxed, but only for a few seconds:)

Stu! How come you never see the cats? We have to talk about this

Keith I completely agree it looks odd (plane of focus) but nothing I can do about it - just not enough DoF, my eternal problem

More images to follow so please be patient with me... I have a new computer and it feels like starting from the beginning...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a gorgeous little creature. Big tick from me for capturing this alone, especially at the pace they must live at. Well done.
    I feel the head is sharp and that's probably all at this distance to it?
    In any case, I would love this frame in my files...
    If you are inclined to retouch the blade of grass, it would be beneficial for the overall aesthetics.
    Did I say this is gorgeous? :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much for feedback dear Akos

Chat when you get back from SA, hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea