Thread: White Faced Ibis

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White Faced Ibis

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was taken in Bear River Migratory Refuge Last Weekend on a cloudy day

Nikon D500, 500mm f/4 1.4x TCIII
    ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/1250 sec
    Manual Mode, Matrix Metering +1 2/3 EV

Post processing:-

Image rotation, Reduced some canvas at the bottom and added canvas at the top
    Cleaned up the back ground a little
    Photoshop Auto Tone and Auto Contrast
    Nik 30/30 Filter
    Noise Reduction using Neat Image

Hope you like it

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice looking bird, Krishna and I like the way the colours and iridescence on the wing have come through. In my experience, it's not easy to deal with that well and it does depend on getting the light right as well. I also like that you've been able to retain plenty of texture and tone in the background, even though it is quite bright overall. The raised foot adds and composition simple but effective to my eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice plumage, the bird is a bit contrasty and dark, when the BG is much brighter than the subject fill flash can help produce a much more balanced exposure.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

4. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna,
    I would never use auto tone or auto contrast in PP. I find that our human eyes are way better than computer eyes.
    This image is nice but way too crunchy and contrasty.
    I would rework it in PP for sure,
    Gail

6. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi All, I use Auto Tone, Auto Contrast, and Auto Color in PS a lot. You might try doing each on a layer and reducing the Opacity ... Here I start by re-converting with a brighter exposure ... Best plan at that distance; remove the TC :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

8. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As much as I like the subject and the color I find it a bit crowded and I am left wanting the opposite of what I am always in search of, more distance between you and the subject; give the subject a little more room, especially since the background is so soft and muted and I will love this picture even more. Regardless, I love the subject and the shot!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi All,

Thank you for all the comments.

All valid points. Though I did not get the idea to use fill flash ( which I agree was much better option).

This particular spot in the refuge is facing north/ south with subject always lighting sideways. I always avoid this spot unless it is completely cloudy. Good thing about this spot is the pond is right next to the car parking so we don't walk or hike. The birds are always vary as this spot is close to place where hunting is allowed in hunting season.

With the above said, I parked the car a bit further and had to crawl with camera on hand to get to the edge of the pond. I was trying to photograph nesting Short-billed dowitchers ( 10 of them), in the mean while this ibis came in feeding. So I did not have the chance to remove teleconvertor.

Thanks
    Krishna