Thread: Terai Tiger !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Terai Tiger !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone !

Again I had been been missing after posting a tiger image a couple of weeks ago, the reason, trip to corbett tiger reserve , but this time it was for Asiatic elephants and of course tigers from the hilly terrain. Decided to start with a tiger image from this area often referred as the Terai Tiger. They are quite furry compared to the central indian tigers and their coat is vibrant and more on the orange side. I didnt sighted too many tigers as the terrain is quite difficult to sight one and the cats from the region are very shy except a few tigers . This was from the Bijrani zone of the park most famous for tigers rather then elephants . This particular tigress is the most frequently sighted tigers from the park and has raised quite a good no. of tigers in her life span. The end seems near for her but still she is able to hunt and retain her territory.

DPP 4.5, CS6, WB, Levels, selective colour, burned the glittering leaves in the BKG, reduced the contrast. No cropping, NR, sharpness

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm f4 with 1.4x TC IS II, Bean Bag.

1/1000 sec; f/7.1; ISO 2500

All your Comments and suggestion are most welcome.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Spectacular image Haseeb, the colours are amazing, a beautiful and sharp shot. I am not sure but I think I would try to mute the background a little, perhaps a little less contrast and or colour I think it needs to have it's impact lessened a bit. But that tiger, tiger is sure burning bright! Super shot!

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A grand old girl indeed Haseeb, a bit surprised the bokeh on the 200-400 isn't as smooth, I gather she must be very close to that BG here.

Retaining her territory goes a long way to extending her life.....long may that continue. Nicely framed.

TFS
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 05-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Glad the trip was fruitful. She posed regally for you. Fantastic eye contact and pov. Nice detail and sharpness on the face. I would prefer a little more room below. Did you recover the top of the shoulder and rear paw on the right as viewed? Both of those areas look a little hot and lacking in detail.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel, Jonathan and Marc !
    @ Rachel : I too would have preferred some more space at the foot but things happened quite quickly before I could have achieved the desired focal length. Top of the shoulder and the hl on the rear leg is burned slightly.

@Marc : there wasn’t much of separation from the bkg otherwise it is a peach of a glass.

@ Jon : I already applied those things aa mentioned by you may be slightly more , subjective I guess ! But will try and see how it looks .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

What gorgeous old lady, she shows her age a little but still so beautiful. Love the relaxed pose and mouth a little open as well as eye contact. POV is superb.

Nice thinking out there in the field Haseeb - good techs, this is well exposed. Good detail in the whites as well as blacks. I see you managed to gently correct a few HL here and there - nice PP work ( just an idea, for HL you could also try adding some yellow to the whites in Selective Colour in PSCC, but just a tad and selectively of course). I like the BG too, works well.

A wonderful capture my friend, love your tiger images, hope to see more

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too would have preferred some more space at the foot but things happened quite quickly before I could have achieved the desired focal length.
    Hi Haseeb, you say things happened quickly, can you expand a bit more as she's lying down looking quite content & relaxed, did she just suddenly get up and move? Was she raised above you, as the shooting angle is a nice one for me and the FG rock are fine I think. I like the gaze, front paw coming towards you and the slightly open mouth, position and body angle, but certainly more room all round, not just at the foot for me. I'm not a lover of the 'blurring' BKG, I think it's too heavy and at ISO2500 you should be OK without any NR.

If you can Haseeb, I would suggest upgrading to Photoshop CC 2018 via Adobe Cloud, it's a lot better than your current version (refined), but you need to check if your computer can run it. The 'perceptual' sharpening that you have applied I think is a fraction too much, more noticeable in the face, have you applied sharpening within DPP too? can you drop me a line on the 'sharpening' amounts etc, I think we can improve things.

If you are likely to be in Corbett in December let me know, I have a very good friend who's shooting there and in another location, be good if you could meet him.

TFS
    Steve

PS Hope you are enjoying the new lens.

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela and Steve !

@ Gabriela , nice suggestion reg HL , will try that thing .

@ Steve : Haven't blurred the BKG it is just that i burnt the shimmering leaves.

The tigress was sleeping and she suddenly was in a sitting position on hearing something. then went back to her slumber. So i didn't had that opportunity to retract the focal length.
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 05-11-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb this is absolutely beautiful,I can see Jon's point re the bg but the Tiger itself with all that lovely texture and colour really holds the viewers attention,excellent.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great result for the short few moments you had with her.
    The BG is what it is, and for me, if I cannot get it nice and OOF in the RAW file (like here where the BG is too close, as you had mentioned) then no chance in he11 will I be blurring the BG just because there is a blur tool in Photoshop.
    I like the glass to do its job as intended.
    Wonderful portrait, nice pose. Well done!
    TFS