Thread: Carnivore cubs

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Carnivore cubs

Attached Images Attached Images

The 15 strong “Gardenia” pride pulled down a male buffalo by drowning the hapless beast in a waterhole.

Lions don’t like the water at the best of times, and the alpha female eventually dragged this daga boy to the waters edge and with only a small area that could be feasted upon, it finally came the turn for the cubs to battle it out for their share and as the 2 pride males didn't show up until well after sunset, they all fed well.

I particularly like the olive-eyed female cub, 2nd from left, giving me the death stare. Hindsight being a wonderful thing, I may well have had to go to f/13 to get the last cub on the right in focus.

Kogatende region, Northern Serengeti- TZ.

HH/bean bag, cropped top third, curves, levels, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC '18.

Nikon D5
    Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR + 1.4tcIII
    f/8
    1/1600s
    ISO2800

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow when I look it makes me look again, and again, and yet again just to make sure I am not missing anything, this is riveting, just love it! Those eyes just mesmerizing, you could invent names for all, but that cub 2nd left, my, my she is a feisty looking little thing, I wouldn't want to get on her wrong side. I think the crop shape and size was well chosen. Being rather critical now but I agree with your suggestion over a smaller aperture.

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- This is one of the most fascinating frames i have seen recently. The low Pov and the expressions on all the cubs face is just priceless. And the one giving you that stare just makes this image for me . Nice choice of crop as it is really emphasizing the whole situation. A winner for me . TFS !

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - This is a fantastic frame and the pano crop with low pov is perfect. It really amplifies the intensity of the scene. I'm betting the smell was pretty intense too with the kill and all the mud. Dof works but I agree it would probably be even better stopped down more. That stare is enough to send chills through anyone.

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh my, superb scene and POV here. Love the composition. Those hungry eyes...Stunning pose from all characters, I think this is now my favourite of your latest images!

I like it as presented Marc. I agree, you could have upped the SS to allow for more DoF but I am so taken with the expression on the cubs' faces that I am not sure it matters that much.

Superb scene and I took so much pleasure viewing, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The looks on those faces are priceless, Marc, as is the filthy mud. Really makes this for me. Moment of capture and the frame chosen here is excellent as well, with one cub in the middle of tearing off some flesh. Panoramic crop suits this nicely too. Great to see another frame for this take-down and hope to see more if you have them.

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mark this really is excellent,forget pristine Lions love the mucky wet look on these,the stare is riveting.

Keith.

13. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's one of those frames, for sure, where one can just keep looking and looking at it to see if there are details missed.
    What a sight it must've been Marc. Really special and the pano crop works wonders for you here.
    TFS

15. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post