Thread: Nikon Mirrorless Camera and existing lens line

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nikon Mirrorless Camera and existing lens line

Hello, It is my understanding Nikon will introduce a full frame 'mirrorless' camera in the spring of 2019. It is also my understanding, similar to the Sony A7 and A9 series, the old lens line will not work with the new camera without an adapter. It is also my understanding the adapter interface to the camera will not be as robust as a direct attached lens.

With that said, I assume Nikon will introduce a completely new line of lens shortly after the announcement of the new camera making the old line of lenses obsolete.

Does this sound correct? Terry Johnson

PS: I believe Canon is also introducing a mirrorless camera?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is ALLOT of speculation for both Nikon and Canon on this. Timing of the cameras, specs, lens mounts. I'm a Canon shooter and I'll just say that I'll wait and see. Remember, Canon and Nikon are playing catch up. While the Sony A9 / A7RIII come close to a usable mirrorless camera for birds / wildlife (perhaps lingering EVF lag time concerns) one way in which Canon / Nikon can leap over is to match Sony specs yet retain their much stronger position with long, fast glass. Sony recognizes this, as evidenced by how well their A7RIII reportedly shoots with adapted Canon glass. Another way Canon / Nikon could get the jump on Sony would be to offer some kind of hybrid EVF. No idea how that would work. Anyway, I'm far more interested in Canon matching Nikon's D850 with their 5D line. I'll wait until mirrorless fully matures.