Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah and kill

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken from car, Shingwedzi region Kruger park
    Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II ISO 4000, 1/1250 sec f5.6
    ACR + PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the colours and habitat Jonathan especially that look of contempt here in interupting his dinner, he looks like he's endulged himself very well.

Did you happen to see the take down, and was it just the one or a coalition here?

TFS

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you dear Jon,

And a very nice image too! I am becoming a little jealous of all your Kruger sightings In which case my excuse would be...err...I was only there for a few days

Good techs here and despite relatively high ISO I see no noise. If you applied NR then it works very well and the cheetah stands out beautifully against the BG. Lovely pose from the subject and HA, I like the eye contact, colours spot on, love that 3D feel.

The size of that belly, awww If the kill was not visible I would have thought the cheetah was pregnant. BTW was it a male or a female?

Lastly, any more space at the bottom of the frame? Not too tight really but somewhat imbalanced with all that space at the top, WDYT? I think a more pano crop would benefit this image but let us see what the others say:)
    Wonderful sighting and image my friend, thank you for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Marc Gabriela, glad you liked it. We got there some time after the kill, there was a coalition - two brothers we were told. I did apply NR (Neat Image I think it's really good! I have made profiles for different cameras.) I cropped 4:3 because that is the standard size for projection in the clubs and competitions - no more room at the base.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- what a sight , haven't seen a cheetah image with that huge belly, looks very nicely fed. I liked the look into the camera and the vegetation around it. I am not on the right monitor to comment on the colours but by the look of things there is some bluish cast in the zebra. All in all a very fine image .

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - This works very well. I like the vibrant greens. The comp is perfect with the inclusion of the whole zebra. I do see the slight amount of blue that Haseeb mentions but it looks fairly natural and is not a deal breaker for me.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I like this one far better than the previous posting of the same scene.

PP & framing looks really good and I love the muddy, wet fur. The blood stained collar and look to camera is also very nice. That fat belly indicates the Cheetah did have enough time to enjoy the kill for once. I would agree that the Blue needs reducing, but also the Purple, zero that in both fields and you will notice the difference in the FG. Bet you were chuffed with this sighting Jon.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone glad you liked it. Steve, Haseeb, I did have a slight reservation over the cast - couldn't quite work out what it was so will definitely have another go at it. Rachel - you usually point this out to me but I note you didn't think it was too bad this time, I didn't but knew something just a little awry.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon the Cheetah itself looks really good even with that fat belly,bet it slept for a week getting rid of that.I see the casts on the Zebra and also the foreground grasses and am a bit puzzled why,all in all a great capture that you must be very pleased with.

Keith.