Thread: Life can be too much at times...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Life can be too much at times...

Attached Images Attached Images

This guy was so chilled lying by the ship he just power napped off and on, but fully conscious of every move & sound we made.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus Maritimus) lying down, chilling
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 500mm f/4 MKII with 1.4MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/640s at f/8 ISO2500
    Original format: landscape, slight crop from the top, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2018

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

You know how much I love Africa, but there are certain images that truly fuel my desire to travel. This is one of them

I have never been to Svalbard but I imagine it as a harsh environment with the finest views and fiercest Polar Bears. Gustave Flaubert once said "...I want to buy myself a beautiful bear, a painting of one, frame it and hang it in my bedroom, with written beneath it Portrait of Gustave Flaubert to suggest my moral disposition and social habits...". He was perhaps not referring to Polar Bears as such, but your image of this solitary and content character prompted me to think of his words.

Back to the image, I really like this frame-filler. The bear's size and prowess matches his environment and he endures the cold with great patience. He surely has some excellent survival skills, in a world that is seemingly empty and apparently infinite, without trees or grass and where food is sometimes scarce. I have great admiration for the species and I am certain you do too - your images show. A little surprised at the low SS but since the subject is so still and "chill" I won't dwell on it Superb composition and beautiful detail, including ice in the FG.

I see your search for beauty in Nature takes you from time to time to faraway places. Those images you share are works of art to me and somehow influence where I would like to travel in the future. Thank you so much Steve

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Where and why have you been hiding all these gems? Another peach of a shot, I can't say much other than first class, the colours/tones and details are outstanding......
    BTW I think you need to get that macro lens out if you are not going to the Arctic in the foreseeable future.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- What high quality images you produce ! This has some fantastic details and lovely soft colours. Very nicely framed as well. Always like to see a relaxed animal . Superbly done. TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Happy Birthday! Beautiful detail and I like how this shows all the different shades/tones of white. Very relaxed bear. I know the bear was sleeping but you were still on a boat moving with the current so I am surprised at the slow ss for you.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you guys for the kind words much appreciated.

BTW I think you need to get that macro lens out if you are not going to the Arctic in the foreseeable future.
    John, it's in the loft as I said, if I had something to photograph like a Damselfly then I would, so I'm just getting the kit all sorted and perhaps into Canon next month for a 'wash & brush' up.

I know the bear was sleeping but you were still on a boat moving with the current so I am surprised at the slow ss for you.
    Slow SS Rachel isn't an issue if the subject is static and you have good technique, the latter is where the main faults tend to lie because there is movement, with this shot it simply came down to dialling 1.3+EV and so the SS would have dropped.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, excellent all round exposure, and I do like the detail on the bear's face. A beautiful animal I would love to see and photograph one day.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Got to agree with the above comments Steve,awesome piece of work.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Late to the party but really like this. I love the relaxed pose with the hint of the eye showing and the detail in the snow. TFS