Thread: reddish egret flies away...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default reddish egret flies away...

Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing better for me than an afternoon in the water with Big Red... Gail B. and I were at Fort DeSoto and had our opportunities with this reddish egret, who stayed close to the mangroves... After an afternoon of feeding, he preened, and then it was up and away... I wish the shadow on the wing wasn't there...
    DPP, levels, sharpening, NR...

1Dx
    840mm
    ISO 1250
    1/3200

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light. Good pose on the bird. I don't mind the shadow on the wing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Almost perfect, with a good self critique. If you go back, try the Gulf Pier for the hybird heron/egret ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann!
    I like the light, the IQ and the sharpness.
    i don't mind the shadow. Nice wing position and incoming flight path.
    For my taste, I would like a bit more room below but very nice as is.
    Is it possible that a Canon camera and lens took this BIF?!!!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture Ann the light was nice and you have great separation from the BG. Wish we had more Reddish egrets in our area. Looks like you and Gail came away with numerous keepers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Hi Ann!
    I like the light, the IQ and the sharpness.
    i don't mind the shadow. Nice wing position and incoming flight path.
    For my taste, I would like a bit more room below but very nice as is.
    Is it possible that a Canon camera and lens took this BIF?!!!
    Gail
    Yes, it is possible. But you have not been listening carefully :) Imagine what it would be like to take a series of ten and not have to pray that the best wing position was gonna be sharp. When you get one soft one with Nikon it comes as a shock ..

Here is what I especially for you and Ann at Arash's Willet this morning:

As I have been saying for many months:

1- Good and half-way decent flight photographers (like me) will produce better, more consistently sharp images with Nikon than with Canon.
    2- Great Canon flight photographers like Arash and David Salem and Doug Brown willl continue to make great images with their Nikon gear. But they will over time produce a superior body of incredible work and enjoy more consistently sharp flight images.
    3- Excellent flight photographers likeIsaac Grant and Tim Folz and others will continue to produce some great images with Canon but live with inconsistent AF.
    4- Gail and Ann, and others who might switch: please e-mail for affiliate links: I have a guy who can get you the stuff cheaper than B&H with fast, personalized service. And it does not cost you one penny more. Remember, I switched after 10 seconds of flight photography ... Also, I can help you get a good price for your used gear on the BAA Used Gear Page.

See the blog from mid-January on for my whole Canon to Nikon story.

ps: there are lots of things about Nikon that suck ...

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 05-09-2018 at 06:16 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Yes, it is possible. But you have not been listening carefully :) Imagine what it would be like to take a series of ten and not have to pray that the best wing position was gonna be sharp. When you get one soft one with Nikon it comes as a shock ..

Here is what I especially for you and Ann at Arash's Willet this morning:

As I have been saying for many months:

1- Good and half-way decent flight photographers (like me) will produce better, more consistently sharp images with Nikon than with Canon.
    2- Great Canon flight photographers like Arash and David Salem and Doug Brown willl continue to make great images with their Nikon gear. But they will over time produce a superior body of incredible work and enjoy more consistently sharp flight images.
    3- Excellent flight photographers likeIsaac Grant and Tim Folz and others will continue to produce some great images with Canon but live with inconsistent AF.
    4- Gail and Ann, and others who might switch: please e-mail for affiliate links: I have a guy who can get you the stuff cheaper than B&H with fast, personalized service. And it does not cost you one penny more. Remember, I switched after 10 seconds of flight photography ... Also, I can help you get a good price for your used gear on the BAA Used Gear Page.

See the blog from mid-January on for my whole Canon to Nikon story.

ps: there are lots of things about Nikon that suck ...

with love, artie
    I don't want to hijack Ann's thread but I will!
    Firstly, I am highly bummed that I did not make "great "or "excellent" or even "good and half-way decent" flight photographer in your comment!I am joking of course!
    Secondly, I have not tried the Nikon stuff so I cannot comment on it. I am reluctant to try it because I am newly retired and $$$ matter. If I fall in love with Nikon I cannot afford the switch and it would cost ~ $6000.00 or more assuming I got top dollar for my current gear. I would rather spend the money on travel. I am also not a professional photographer but rather a hobbyist and only ~ 20% of my photography would be BIF. These are my reasons for staying with Canon. I am also praying that the next generation of Canon camera will address any AF issues I might have. Summer Olympics are in 2020 so we should see a new flagship camera from Canon.
    Thank you for the offer re: affiliate links but for now I am staying put!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All good Gail. Your life, your call. And there are many folks who feel exactly as you do. And I am fine with that but only 100%. And yes, you have made some great flight images over the years, just not as many as Arash or David :)

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

All good here, i want my 10 seconds with a Nikon in my hands, but I'm convinced as well for all of the reasons you mention Artie, as well as the others... i spoke with David S last night and he is just soooo excited and I too will make a choice once i weigh all my variables.... My used Canon gear etc, ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    All good here, i want my 10 seconds with a Nikon in my hands, but I'm convinced as well for all of the reasons you mention Artie, as well as the others... i spoke with David S last night and he is just soooo excited and I too will make a choice once i weigh all my variables.... My used Canon gear etc, ...
    Be careful Ann. If there are birds flying during those ten seconds ...

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, great flight capture and with raised wings. I've always liked these birds which we dont have here in SA. They have a lot of detail and various colours on them. I do like your BG too.

With regards to swopping, I cant even afford a 1DX so I will have to keep my current kit which gets me by. I cant even think about swopping if I wanted too. Good luck if you make the move.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice flight shot Ann, the shadow is unfortunate but by no means a deal breaker (not for me anyway!). I love being in that area of Desoto - so many keepers each session compared to shooting in England!

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is pretty Ann. Beautiful light and a nice pose as well. Getting the angle on a flying bird with zero shadow is so hard. Takes repeat opportunities over a long time. Not something you typically have on a short vacation. I'd be very happy with a frame like this of these beautiful birds. I saw the one and only Reddish Egret in New York May of 1991.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic light and setting, Ann. Lot's to like here and I'm also not bothered by that shadow. Having read some of the exchange on Nikon BIF, I coincidentally noticed some softness to this when I first opened it and before I read the exchange. Maybe it's just in need of a bit more output sharpening (to my eye at least). Only you would know as you have the RAW. But I am nitpicking. This is a really fine frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice looking flight frame Ann. Yes to a little more sharpening on the head. Well done. Didn't read all this fun stuff before but very interesting stuff:)
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com