Thread: Life In The Louisiana Rookeries

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Life In The Louisiana Rookeries

Attached Images Attached Images

I visited a few Louisiana rookeries in late April. I thought I'd share some of the behavior I observed.

Image #1
    These are Snowy Egrets after a tussle for territory. No real harm done except the pond was being patrolled by a 12 foot alligator - the bird did not stay in the water long.

Image #2
    This is a Roseate Spoonbill bringing a stick back the nest. I didn't see this behavior often from the Roseates as they could be seen stealing the sticks from smaller birds' nests such as Little Blue Herons and Cattle Egrets.

Image #3
    The birds would sometimes spot sticks in the water and make a go for it. This Great Egret tried for this large stick but dropped it before making it to the nest.

Image #4
    Great Egret feeding young. This image shows two of the chicks which appear well fed. Not pictured is a hidden third chick in the nest which appears malnourished. My understanding is that it is unusual for more than two chicks to survive.

Image #5
    Here is a Cormorant bringing in a branch. I read that their nest is constructed first of bare twigs then leafy branches so this bird's nest must be near completion.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Allen!
    Amazing avian sightings beautifully captured! Love the behaviour aspect of each frame as well as the quality of the images

I truly enjoyed reading the intro with information. We have Great Egrets and Cormorants here but I personally have not had that many opportunities to observe and photograph them. I like the entire sequence as presented. I must admit I cannot take my eyes off the roseate spoonbill whose colours are simply amazing:)
    Beautifully framed and executed - wonderful work, Allen! Nice processing too, congratulations, heartfelt thanks for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea