Thread: Solitary Sandpiper zeroing in

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Solitary Sandpiper zeroing in

Attached Images Attached Images

I went into a local park hoping to photograph some of the migrant warblers. Luck was not on my side as they were completely uncooperative and stayed far and high. So I got to a small pond and there were 5 Solitary Sandpipers that were flying around and chasing each other all over the place. This one paused briefly to take a mid air snack. Must be some small gnat or something like that. Background is the forest on the other side of the pond and some small bushes. The green area got a bit of banding when the photo was downsized that does not exist in the full res so I am not worried about it at all.

Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. F5.6, ISO 2500, SS 1/1000. Flash used as I had it set for warblers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac. What a great shot! Sharp where it needs to be with blur on the wings showing movement. Looks like the 1DXii is living up to its name! I'm trying to decide between the 1DXii (or even the version1) or the 5D Mk4. Consensus seems to be the 1Dx has the edge over the 5D mk4 for bif images. Was this taken hand-held?
    Can I ask how much sharpening you did in post?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey Isaac: five solitary sandpipers, hmmm, social sandpipers, hahaha!!! Gorgeous work here, sharp, perfect angle, open beak for the gnat, and flash helped too! Excellent processing .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Talk about timing. The pose is great with the little insect about to be eaten. really like the two toned background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice! Great look at those diagnostic dark underwings, and the insect is fun too. The green is really aggressive on my monitor, so you might be able to them turn down or desat them.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture, Isaac. Like everything about this image, including the snack. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, I like the mid air pose, and very well timed to capture the feeding moment with the open beak and the food item inbetween. Nice and sharp where it counts, and I like how the bird is separated from the BG. Good use of flash BTW - its subtle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It gave you a perfect head turn too! I agree with Dorian about the greens, but what a fun image, and not an easy one to get as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the feedback guys. Funny I did not touch the greens at all so didn't really think about them. Anyway I see no harm in lowering them so here is a redo with the greens reduced and I took a bit of red out of the bird as well. The flight feathers seemed to have a touch of warmth to them that really isn't there.

Stu the flash probably did very little to anything. Bird was out over a pond and I did not have a better beamer or anything on so the light must have been really disbursed. That would explain why it looks so subtle.

Daniel I know. I really was super excited when not only did the camera lock on to focus on the bird but also that the birds head angle was spot on. I have about a 10 shot burst of this interaction and this one has the best head angle and wing position also. Fortunate for sure!
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 05-07-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul. Both cameras are fantastic. See shots posted by Dorian for how good the 5d4 is at flight photography as well. Really you can not go wrong with either. There are 2 schools of thought. The 1dx or 1dx2 are faster and could capture more of the action because of the faster frame rate. However the added pixels of the 5d4 allow you to more easily track a bird that is farther away and smaller in the camera and then crop the image more. Both methods work really well if you nail the shot. People are using the Nikon D850 for this as well as that has even 50% more pixels than the 5d4. This was tripod mounted.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty darn nice Isaac! Excellent IQ and l like the BG.
    Love the crop and action. The little bug and open beak are terrific.
    My only bug-a-boo is the reflection in the eye. It seems a bit odd- could it have been the flash?
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow that is killer Isaac!! Love the pose and the great colors and details in this one. The gnat, even though it's small, adds to the whole scene. Greens are fine to me. Great job Jackson
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with all, nice to see a perfect flight shot and razor sharp, well done Isaac

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose of a rarely photographed bird. With a perfect head angle to boot. Wolfe's Pond?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie it was from Allison Pond Park. Also known as Goodhue Woods. It is just across the street from Snug Harbor. The pond is tiny compared to Wolfes. It is maybe 50-60 feet across at most.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Isaac. I do not know that area. I saw some solitarys in a small pond north off the mall near the expressway ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's Willowbrook Park. Excellent spot for migrants there. I go there often.

18. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post