Thread: Feeding time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Feeding time.

Attached Images Attached Images

12.57pm

A leopardess carries her cub out from the densite and to the top of her kopje home for a lunchtime feeding session.
    Just a wonderful moment to witness and my patience of waiting 3 full days* (knowing the cubs were trucked away in that den) for her to return to her 2 x 8 week old cubs really paid off!
    Mum had killed a baby Wildebeest and stashed it high in an Acacia and closeby to her densite, here she fed on the kill for the next 3 days before deciding to finally come down and bring her cubs out to nurse & feed them.
    This was only the second time in 36 yrs travelling/photographing African wildlife have I seen a leopard carry her cubs. ..........I was in heaven.

* (It's not uncommon for Leopard mum's to leave cubs unattended for this amount of time,
    we couldn't be totally sure of course, but mum's feet bore no evidence of mud/dirt during the rainy 3 days she stayed in that Acacia and I stayed with her from sunrise to sunset on each of those 3 days, apart from when she and myself had toilet breaks) Can you tell I really wanted that carrying shot.
    Well I was rewarded with another 3 different occasions of her carrying those little fluff balls!!

Central Serengeti-TZ.

Bean bag, front pax seat, curves, levels, 20% crop, slight vignette, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC'18.

1400px wide

Nikon D5
    Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR + 1.4tcIII
    f/6.3
    1/2000s
    ISO1250

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 05-02-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added footnote*

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A dream sighting! Very well captured. I get goosebumps just thinking about sightings like this.
    Stephen Earle Photography
    Facebook page

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful image, a true pleasure to view and know life and opportunities as this are possible. Techs, color and detail look good to me but I am sure those more experienced know more. Thank you for sharing, Marc.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marc,can I just say the biggest thanks first for outlining what it took,ie how you went about achieving this wonderful image. Someone like me who has never visited Africa can only guess at such things how rare this type of image is ...and also how much it means to you So to have it spelled out by the image maker,you, means the world to me. Thankyou.

It's also sort of wierd,that the three days spent waiting stirred a different emotion in me than the suspected admiration of your incredible patience which is obvious. I sat here eye's flicking from image to words inspired and more than a tiny bit jealous. The jealously isn't to do with your wonderful encounter,i'm so thrilled for you bro,I know I can't put that into words.

It's that want to be able to spend three days, sitting on a subject,trying for a particular image,instead of being where I am now,funny old world. Once again I've seen something in your work and words that just makes me want to push harder thank you,so inspiring

Marc a stunning frame ha ha a bit easier for me than the buffalo ,for me stunningly executed,no nits. I'm so chuffed she carried the cub ,so it's facing you and us.
    Glorious mate ,thanks for posting doesn't really cut it !! Awesome, in the best sense of the word does.

Stu

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - Your patience paid off big time. And even more fortunate that she carried the cub with it facing you too. Absolutely fantastic sighting and image. Congrats on this one! I am more than a bit jealous.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Last edited by Rachel Hollander; 05-04-2018 at 07:55 PM.

9. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Marc,

Big congrats on this frame!!!!!!!

I think you were more than prepared for this and your techs show - well exposed, nice DoF, super SS. Well framed. Colours spot-on. HA cannot get better than this.

Super special sighting, love the little cub with those sweet blue eyes, mouth open and oh that curled tail is awesome, fur so soft. Those are huge paws for a little baby, must be a boy?
    Really enjoyed viewing, just awesome, thank you so much for sharing and I also appreciate the story behind the image

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Many thanks Stephen, Joe, Stu, Rachel & Gabriela for your positive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    And even more fortunate that she carried the cub with it facing you too.
    The first cub she brought out was facing the other way, so with fingers crossed, mum played her part in this image by bringing out her second one facing us, what joy!

[QUOTE=Gabriela Plesea;1184653]. HA cannot get better than this. Those are huge paws for a little baby, must be a boy?[/QUOTE

That was my best guess as well Gabriela, with the other sibling likely a girl, with smaller head/facial features.
    Here's a rare shot of the pair facing camera together which is always the case, proved elusive. The male on the left..........most probably.

13. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marc wonderful to see what you and Gabriela are talking about,thanks for the second frame

stu

15. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- Absolutely speechless, this is once in a lifetime sighting and what cute looking cub ! You have nailed this one and many thanks for sharing this image with us . Loved it !

17. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just too cute:) Thank you for sharing Marc
    Gabriela Plesea

19. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post