Thread: Waiting for Mom

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Waiting for Mom

Attached Images Attached Images

Dearest Friends,

I cannot resist the temptation to share lion images from time to time. Or rather, all the time...

So here's a youngster I recently encountered during a short trip to the Kruger Park a few days ago. I gather Mom went hunting and left her four cubs to entertain themselves. This particular image was taken as they were crossing the road seeking for some shade, and the 500mm lens came in handy as I was trying to avoid man made elements such as the tar road and thirty or so vehicles present at the sighting...Yes, the Kruger was absolutely stunning and the scenery mesmerising, wildlife incredibly abundant and sightings second to none. But I had to learn to be patient and share those amazing sightings with great numbers of people, not an easy thing to do for me...

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 800
    F7.1
    1/2000s
    Many thanks to all of you who took the time to view my previous posts. Your thoughtful comments are much appreciated

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I like the POV and the grass stems coming into frame, but I'm 50/50 where I want to see more below? Nice light and overall colours, the contrasting green gives a nice 'pop' to the golden fur. If you have it, then I might move the whole crop a tad to the right so your LH trim edge is just on the tips of the grass 'seeds', about half an inch so you loose that gap at the rear. Techs look about right, nice DoF.

Your patience paid off here.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the colours, POV/ comp and side lighting here Gabriela. For me I'd like to see this cropped to a more portrait 4-5 ratio, eliminating about 30% off the LHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    thirty or so vehicles present at the sighting... But I had to learn to be patient and share those amazing sightings with great numbers of people, not an easy thing to do for me...
    You have the patience of a saint Gabriela .....I just couldn't do it, but totally understand for you it's your backyard and one must make the most of a situation.

TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful image, for one who has never seen a Lion other than a zoo this is a treat. Techs look good to me. Thank you for sharing, Gabriela.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you enjoyed your trip, this is very nice indeed Gabriela, the light is beautiful. I was advised to go in February because it is far less crowded, it was very rare we came across more than four vehicles in a group and if it looked too busy we just drove on, as you say there's plenty of other animals!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear Steve, Marc, Joe, and Jon

I am afraid there's no more below, Steve. Little one walked to the edge of the road and I barely managed a few shots before she stepped on the tar. I should have picked up the 200-400 but could not get it out its bag quick enough.

Marc, I don't know how I manage to keep my mouth shut at times. I guess I just don't like arguments and avoid them at all costs. Most people are well behaved and respectful but every now and then one encounters individuals that need to be thrown out of the Park

Joe, I so wish I could share some of those lion sightings with you. Your comment just made me realise how privileged I am, thank you kindly.

Jon - I am usually in the Kalahari in Feb or March and for the same reason - it's quiet. And very hot I must say when we drove around on dirt roads we encountered less vehicles. It's just the WhatsApp that spoils things, everyone rushes to the same spot and one cannot even drive past a sighting.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Those eyes really capture your attention. Beautiful color and detail here. Without any more room to the left and below I would come up from the bottom to eliminate the gap on the left. It gives you a slightly more pano comp but also eliminates the oof thicker foliage at the bottom. Shame about the crowds.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

I will certainly look again at the composition, many thanks for viewing and suggestions, appreciated

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea