Thread: Juvenile Crocodile at Sunset Dam

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Crocodile at Sunset Dam

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends,

I have just returned from a trip to the Kruger Park so I thought I'd share a Theme Image tonight, captured at Sunset Dam one early morning.

It was overcast so my companions and I did our best under the circumstances. My exif is as follows: Nikon D5, 500F4 lens, +1/3 EV, ISO 2000, F8, SS 1/2000s (not sure such SS was necessary this time around, this chap was dead still).

This is FF, processed in LR and PSCC (exposure, curves, levels), I also removed a bothersome grass stem in front of the subject.

Thank you so much for viewing and kind comments on my previous images, I so appreciate it.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Welcome back! This works very well as a pano comp. I like the pov and reflection too. Interesting to see how yellow and light the croc is. If it were mine I would darken the greens in the bg plants.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

Thank you so much, I will look at the plants and see what I can do. Glad you mentioned the colour of this croc. We saw quite a few during this trip, some yellow, some rather greenish (maybe due to algae from the water) others very dark. Also, we were lucky to spot a croc mom with babies on her back, what wonderful sighting but POV not good as we were looking down from a bridge. Took a few images just for the record, I'll send you one when I get to that folder just to share Amazing how tiny they are and fragile when born...

Will be back with more, hope you have a lovely day,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gabriela, great image to kick off with.

I do like the composition and the way the croc is 'sandwiched between vegetation and clear water, creates some nice interest. POV looks good, going lower I think may have created some issues, plus unless accompanied by another person, slightly dangerous.

Techs look good, there is plenty of detail in the croc, yet the backdrop isn't so detailed and conflicts with the subject, but based on the posting I might run some NR based on the BKG. I also think you can get some more depth from the water to bring out the detail of the ripples and colour to the 'lillies', but just my take. It could go a tad lighter on the Exp, or just on the croc to add some more separation, just adding some thoughts.

Looking forward to more, don't hold back.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela ,I adore the way you shoot and process your work. I love the soft lit water, the colour of the crock is so cool,and unusual to me. What really grabs me is the detail and clarity of the subject,in fact that clarity aspect(i'm not talking in PSCC terms) but visually what I'm seeing is stunning to my eyes.

I like your presentation as well,little to change for me ,I 've noted Rachel's point about darkening the greens, in the bkg plants,and it had me arguing with myself as I feel the lack of contrast in those plants is adding depth to your image,i'm very unsure on this bit mate,I really am. I know how good Rachel's eye's are and how subtle/skillful you guys are with post... very interesting for me !!

Lovely mate,please show me more from your trip,although please forgive if I disappear for a few days so much to catch up on at home

take care

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, thank you Steve, I like this a lot! Was afraid to push things because the water had this "magenta" look, but your RP is gorgeous - much appreciated

Have you noticed that faint shape under the croc? Just below the neck - I think it is a fish or another small crocodile

More coming...Busy processing here...(Public holiday in SA, how lovely to have a day off, yay)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks dear Stu,

I had the same dilemma while processing ( do I go lighter or darker with the greens), all I had to do is try both, but I didn't. Just came back from the Kruger and was in too much of a hurry to share

Stu, always good to hear from you, we all understand when you fade away for a day or two as long as you come back

Really enjoyed reading your thoughtful comments, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was afraid to push things because the water had this "magenta" look, but your RP is gorgeous
    Yes, I thought you may have added it, but it might be from the initial stage? If not take it out prior to WB and see how it looks.

You don't need to push it, you can isolate things easily in LR, just use the right tools, then tweak it in PS, but 90% was all in LR.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, the "magenta" was there and rather on the light (pink) side. It was lunch time and the sun was hidden behind clouds. I remember looking at the scene and thinking: "yellow crocodile in pink water, how strange - an unusual situation, this might make a nice frame".

I will play around more in LR, I sometimes rely too much on PS and forget about other things I can do prior to moving the image to PS
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great aquatic scene overall Gabriela with good use of DOF and nice tones, texture on the croc, I do like Steve's RP but would back off on the pink/magenta a tad for mine.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Marc
    Gabriela Plesea