Thread: Gardenia pride v buffalo

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gardenia pride v buffalo

Attached Images Attached Images

Just back from a long and extended trip to TZ & the Seychelles and thought I would squeeze in a themed image before the month has passed.

One of the many highlights of this trip was the 15 strong Gardenia pride taking down a male buffalo, taking just 21 mins to end this boys misery, eventually resulting in the girls flipping the young bull over and drowning him in the water hole behind, but not before suffering injuries to 4 of the pride.

A real privilige to document the battle from start to finish with the best part being (apart from 1 vehicle that stayed just 15 mins) I had the sighting all to myself from start to leaving @ sunset.

@ past 10.00am the light mixed with water resulted in less than favourable shooting conditions, I would have loved to be on the opposite side, but it was just too boggy & wet for any vehicle.

Kogatende region, Northern Serengeti- TZ.

Bean bag, front pax seat, FF, curves, levels, TK adj's, reduced the luminosity in the greens, in ACR & PS CC'18.

Nikon D5
    Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR + 1.4tcIII
    1/2500s
    f/8
    ISO3200

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 04-30-2018 at 03:54 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc,nature in a very raw form,but also at it's best.. Marc the light looks to be incredibly difficult to work with,especially considering the dark buffalo i'll look forwards to viewing the comments here,I can see why you watned to be the other side for this image(setof images/encounter). Marc ext's we put on and hope we made the right choice,here I am wondering whether maybe without the ext might have been better as I sort of want the third lion and a little more space.

It's a seriously evocative frame Marc, quite emotional to view,but really speaks of just how hard the natural world really is and conveys that struggle of life and death. The water droplets add so much,although I find it personally quite hard to look at the buffalo's face I can feel him Marc,twenty mins is a long time being ripped apart and drowned

Cheers

stu

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Philpott View Post
    Marc ext's we put on and hope we made the right choice,here I am wondering whether maybe without the ext might have been better as I sort of want the third lion and a little more space.

Cheers

stu

Many thanks Stu,

A life and death struggle for sure,
    but believe me 20 mins is actually quite short when it comes to lions battling buffalo, have seen many going past the hour mark before final submission.

I hear you re. the cutoff lion, and would also have wanted more and indeed I have many more at a wider scene with my 70-200 (for later submissions), but as this was my prime and FF I couldn't do much with her head entering the frame, and leaving her out would have resulted in a cut tail, apart from cloning her out, which I'm always reluctant to do.

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 04-30-2018 at 10:39 AM.

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Marc, and a warm welcome back

A powerful scene very few have the privilege to witness, you are a very lucky man! Great action captured here and super techs too, you did great despite the harsh light.

Colours, sharpness and detail look good. I just feel the frame is slightly unbalanced, wish you had more at the bottom and less at the top of the frame.

Love the expression of the lioness at the edge of the frame and it's such a pity you could not include her. I cannot wait to see your other images from this sighting, I just know you are saving the best for last!

Thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - Welcome back! What a fantastic sighting and especially to have it all to yourself. They really made quick work of him. Was he injured or sick? It's a shame that the best action happened when the light was harsh but you have handled it relatively well. I like the head of the one coming in from the rhs as it gives the impression of there being more members of the pride involved. I too wish the framing was shifted down slightly so a bit more below and less on top.

Looking forward to more from your trip.

TFS,
    Rachel

9. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Gabriela & Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    They really made quick work of him. Was he injured or sick?
    He was a young and very fit male, one of only 3 in a small herd, a perfect scenario for lions, however the crucial and deciding factor was the pride's ability to steer him back into the water, being large & bouyant they managed to flip him over and with one female clamping down on the muzzle he simply drowned, it was game over fairly quickly.

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great sighting and shot. I love the action and the fact that you can see one of the lionesses eyes. Harsh light but hey, I'll take this any day.

I agree that you could probably take some of the top here.
    Stephen Earle Photography
    Facebook page

13. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post