Thread: Scrub Hare MKII

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Scrub Hare MKII

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would post this purely for a comparison basis in terms of the colour of the coat compared to Jon's almost snow white. I did post a similar one about a year ago for young Stu, but that was for lighting suggestions.

Taken in Kenya, many many moons ago and it's almost straight from camera, as I didn't want to spend too much time on it. Things like the highlight on the stick and the line top LHC should be addressed, but as I said it's all about the difference in the coat.

With only 10mpx the MKIII was fun, but lacked the ISO range that we have today, however it did still deliver good images of its time. Yes a bit more DoF for the nose, but it's the eye and the lovely backlit ears that I liked, however going to say ISO 1600 would have been ground breaking I think for the DoF, but doubt the file and software would have been up to it.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Scrub hare (Lepus saxatilis)
    Camera: Canon MKIII (11 years ago)
    Lens: 500f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5 ISO400
    Original format: Portrait, small crop from the top
    Processed via: LR Classic CC & PSCC2018

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The narrow DOF has worked very well, the focus for nose ears and eyes is spot on. As you say the colours in this hare are much more emphatic than those in mine.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It seems the world over hares of different species have colour variation in the individuals within a population. Steve great to see this this morn and be able to compare jon's image with it.I also appreciate your time to pop this up.I won't go much further having read your post but must say I find the image stunning and those ears and that light working through them beyond wonderful
    TFS

Stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Stu, I will get round to posting another 'Golden oldie' just to bolster 'getting techs right' and it's not always having the best kit. Honing the skills/techs is key, having the kit just makes it a bit easier, but keep up all the hard work it's paying off.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thank you Stu, I will get round to posting another 'Golden oldie' just to bolster 'getting techs right' and it's not always having the best kit. Honing the skills/techs is key, having the kit just makes it a bit easier, but keep up all the hard work it's paying off.
    Agree completely Steve,won't go further just wanted to wack you a thanks for the above,they are tools for a job,nowt more nowt less.

Must dash nature is calling

stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, for me it's all about those transparent ears with tiny little veins. And those eyes too.

Beautiful - you just know how to emphasise what matters.
    A shallow but perfect DoF, great framing too
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Love the big ears! Presumably the variations of colors has something to do with their habitats and providing a bit of camouflage. The grass coming out of the mouth also adds to the frame.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve you have a real frame fillar here you must have been very close even with that massive lens,excellent detail especially the ears,colours also look nice.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- excellent details yet again no matter what equipment you use. The art is in the hands of the user. 1DX would have made a lot of difference but it is still a well detailed image. Those ears have come out superbly . TFS !