Thread: Which Gimbal head to buy for 400 F4 DO II

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Which Gimbal head to buy for 400 F4 DO II

Hi,

I own a 7D II and 5DIV body and mostly use 400 f4 DO II + TCs for birds. Most of the times I do it hand held, but I am giving it a serious thought to use tripod and see the difference.
    Recently I bought a Sirui 2204X Carbon Fibre tripod with K30X ball head.
    I innitially thought of getting a wimberley sidekick, but reading various threads - I could not find anyone using sidekick with Sirui 30X. and Now I am bit confused if I should go for full gimball support.

Please suggest me a direction to go for.

Best Regards
    Subham

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The beauty of the 400 f4 DO is that its so easily hand held. IMO if I were going to drag my tripod and gimbal along, I’d be shooting the 600!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Subham,
    While I usually hand hold my 400 DO, when I do use a tripod, I use it with a Mongoose 3.6 action head. I bought it here through the BAA store. Works great.
    Allen

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do not know the tripod but I have used and loved my Mongoose M3.6 for all of my telephotos from 70-200 up to 800mm with a TC for 12 years.

You can purchase here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

With a lens such as yours I would buy a Wimberley Sidekick gimbal adapter. It can be attached in seconds to a ballhead and provides a side mount for a lens foot. Often I prefer having one tripod with the ballhead and Sidekick as I can change from landscape to wildlife shooting very quickly. When not in use the Sidekick fits into the side pocket of the tripod carry bag.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Elkman View Post
    With a lens such as yours I would buy a Wimberley Sidekick gimbal adapter. It can be attached in seconds to a ballhead and provides a side mount for a lens foot. Often I prefer having one tripod with the ballhead and Sidekick as I can change from landscape to wildlife shooting very quickly. When not in use the Sidekick fits into the side pocket of the tripod carry bag.
    While I will gladly sell you a Wimberley Sidekick, and the folks are Wimberley have been great friends, that is the wrong answer. Having tried one years ago and having watched folks using them on various IPTs, I can say that they are a pain in the *** as they are constantly slipping in the ballhead. A Mongoose weighs half of a Sidekick/ballhead combo, is five times more efficient, and -- even with the recent Mongoose price increase, it is still cheaper than a Sidekick and a decent ballhead. If you are the type who actually takes scenic images with a short lens while you are afield with a long long lens -- and trust me on this, I have never seen anyone with a Sidekick do that, simply grab a cheap Induro ballhead and keep it in your vest.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.