Thread: Theme: ring neck pheasant

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: ring neck pheasant

I spotted this bird and a couple of hens fly across the road ahead of me so I drove past and did a quick turn around and returned to find him skulking through the horsetails on the side of the river dyke. He was mostly in thick cover but I managed a few clear shots from my window. I wish I could have got the tail in because he was a real long-tail but horsetails were too thick. Canon 5D IV, Sigma 150-600 F5-6.3 Contemp., ISO 640, f/6.3, 1/1000.Name:  horsetail pheasant.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  486.5 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The contrast between the green horsetail and the colorful roster is very striking. That being said, and I know this is a perfect specimen, I might tone down the reds a little. Detail and exposure look nice too. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat how you caught the bird hanging out in the vegetation here. Very pretty bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is sweet sidelight you got here, and especially effective on the foliage. I do wish the chest was better lit but that's what you get with that type of light direction. Nice and sharp with lots of rich colours.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  horsetail pheasant 2.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  496.3 KBThanks all for your comments. Pursuant to David's suggestion, in this RP I toned down the red saturation a bit and then used a narrow brush adjustment to reduce the exposure of the highlights along the rim of the wattles. Upon comparing the two after the RP my sense is that the image needs the brightness in the reds to bring it out of the intensity of the green horsetails, the luminance of the latter of which I had already brush reduced....with maybe just a slight reduction of light in the wattle rim highlights .
    Last edited by Bob Smith; 04-27-2018 at 01:02 PM.