Thread: White-bellied Sea eagle

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-bellied Sea eagle

Attached Images Attached Images

Went out to my favourite location and captured a few shots of this Sea-eagle. Unfortunately it was a fair way away and the 100-400 doesn't quite "cut the mustard" even at 400mm on the 7D mk2. I've been birding for a few years now but am starting to see the limitations of my 7D mk2 in terms of AF and noise (and my own ability as well). I have a Canon 6D which I love for landscape work...it's low noise/high iso is amazing. The Canon 5D Mk4 is in my sights, but the 600mm lens is out of my reach $$ wise. Feedback welcome as always looking to improve.
    This photo: 400mm, f8, 1/1600th sec, iso400 hand-held. Some pp in acr and Photoshop, cropped and resized for the forum.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat looking bird. Wish you had more of a head turn to get some light on the birds eye. The composition is nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John...feedback appreciated:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with John Mack's comment.
    Also, a steeper banking angle will give a less "looking up" feel to the shot. As always, these images are best if they are as close to eye level as possible. This, of course, is not easy to achieve, as the bird has to be practically flying at ground level, and that does not happen often, except when they are about to strike prey.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos,
    I agree with the steeper angle...and yes, it's not always an ideal situation. I'm happy if I get a sharp shot...been working with different ai servo "case" settings on the 7D mk2, and manual exposure recently.