Thread: Southern African Warthog

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Southern African Warthog

Attached Images Attached Images

One of my favorite creatures of all. Personally I feel this is a magnificently designed animal, and was I happy to see so many families everywhere we explored in Botswana. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 240mm, 1/2500s, f 5.6, HH, ISO 2000.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I share your view Geoffrey I have recently processed a similar image and I kept looking at the tusks lumps and bumps and hairy neck. Focus and DOF look good details are there. I was interested to see how grey she is after her muddy encounter, the mud imparts a different colouring altogether from refereeing parts of countries.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey - This is a nice portrait of the warthog. They don't often stand still. I think you could have dropped the ss and ISO slightly but you may have been anticipating it running off. I also find their characteristics interesting as a subject. The pov and head turn towards you take this up a notch. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Geoffrey, yep these guys are great fun and pretty cool to photograph. Often going tighter and looking for detail can create some stunning images, especially if you convert them to a B/W or rich Quad/Duo tone.

I quite like the fact you have the whole body to view and obviously the shutter going off has caught the attention.

Is this a crop or FF as although the SS was there, I feel you wanted a bit more DoF as looking at the image the detail/sharpness I feel is a fraction off. If the Raw is 100% sharp then it's just down to the amount of 'perceptual' sharpening you have applied. In addition I find the colour (WB) a fraction off with Blue & Magenta coming through. Geoffrey getting the WB right is key, only then can you start to change the basic direction of the image ie Cool or Warm and the respective Colour management, but just my take. Not sure when you last calibrated your monitor, but it might be worth doing and keep on top of this once a month as it is a key element is PP.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Geoffrey, yep these guys are great fun and pretty cool to photograph. Often going tighter and looking for detail can create some stunning images, especially if you convert them to a B/W or rich Quad/Duo tone.

I quite like the fact you have the whole body to view and obviously the shutter going off has caught the attention.

Is this a crop or FF as although the SS was there, I feel you wanted a bit more DoF as looking at the image the detail/sharpness I feel is a fraction off. If the Raw is 100% sharp then it's just down to the amount of 'perceptual' sharpening you have applied. In addition I find the colour (WB) a fraction off with Blue & Magenta coming through. Geoffrey getting the WB right is key, only then can you start to change the basic direction of the image ie Cool or Warm and the respective Colour management, but just my take. Not sure when you last calibrated your monitor, but it might be worth doing and keep on top of this once a month as it is a key element is PP.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve. I appreciate your taking the time to work on my image, but I feel my levels of coolness more closely represent what I was seeing given the overcast. I cropped in about an 1 1/2" on left for composition.

Funny you mention a conversion to B/W or rich Quad/Duo tone. I've done B/W on one of my Hippo captures, as they are great candidates too.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I feel my levels of coolness more closely represent what I was seeing given the overcast.
    That's absolutely fine Geoffrey, but you do have to remove the Blue & Magenta that has crept in, adjusting this will not affect the WB retaining the 'coolness' of the image.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    That's absolutely fine Geoffrey, but you do have to remove the Blue & Magenta that has crept in, adjusting this will not affect the WB retaining the 'coolness' of the image.
    Thanks Steve. While I'm at it, would you please tell me how to single out a sentence or a portion of a sentence, as you've done here, when responding using the "quote".

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

While I'm at it, would you please tell me how to single out a sentence or a portion of a sentence, as you've done here, when responding using the "quote".
    Geoffrey just highlight the sentence(s) you wish to copy, (CMD C if you are Mac, or the PC equivalent), hit the quote icon in the new Reply box, then paste. Job done.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had tried that before. Must have been a glitch.

Thanks again.

Geoffrey

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jonathan, Rachel, and Steve.

Geoffrey