Thread: Eastern Gray Squirrel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Gray Squirrel

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 4/19/18 at 9:32AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 3200
    f6.3
    1/400sec

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - A simple, yet effective portrait. I like the typical pose with the paws at the mouth and the curve of the tail. Nice low pov. If it were mine I would back off on the contrast slightly and also reduce the magentas in the fur.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John, for me you needed to be lower, even if it's wet, you'll dry out .

Good to see you out with the new toy, hope you are liking it. I feel you need to still push yourself on the ISO, 1/400 is OK but any slight movement and the image will highlight the issue of being soft, leave the baggage of the MKIII behind. It is an inherent issue I feel John that the Blacks and contrast are just too heavy and LR does add more than you think. Reducing this and controlling it will show the detail and sharpness you have. The image is carrying both Blue and some Magenta, this is partially from the WB being off and you need to control the blue (check the whites of the belly). A hint/s;liver more I think on the LHS? Get some depth in the FG, loose the dark debris in the grass and you have a very acceptable image, nice one, albeit the subject is classified as vermin over here .

TFS
    Steve

PS no applied sharpening just controlling the element mentioned. I trust you are also using Cases too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, The new toy is quite fun. This is what i did in the basic panel in Lightroom. Used the eye dropper for the White balance just picked a gray spot on the squirrel.

WB: Temp 4,443
    Tint +11
    Exposure: -75
    Contrast: +5
    Highlights: -70
    Shadows +11
    Whites:-25
    Blacks:-27
    Clarity:+8

What do you mean by Cases?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, LR 7.3 is a bag of nails, I would roll both LR & PS back to 7.2, however...

Have also just sent you a PM that may help too, or not?

Without seeing the RAW I might try zeroing the Blacks, likewise the Contrast. It must have been a bright exposure to go almost 2/3rd back, with -70 on HL's too? You also want a 50/50/50 mid grey on the subject this will hopefully ensure NO colour casts, so you have to adjust the WB first, once that is done you can then adjust accordingly, otherwise you are not playing on a level playing field.

The camera needs to be set up, don't take it out of the box and shoot, you have to set the parameters, Cases see the manual P127, this WILL help you. I'm also pretty sure you will need to Micro adjust for both static and moving subjects, both having different amounts and + or -.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for those links. The new Lightroom update is pretty terrible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The new Lightroom update is pretty terrible.
    Yep, it's for those that like to let Adobe manage their images and think the outcome looks cool! Maybe after this year if things go well, I can entice you into a Workshop outside of the USA?