Thread: Black necked Grebe

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black necked Grebe

Name:  Black-neck-grebe-1-18-apr-1600.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  582.8 KB

A few of these have stopped off for a few weeks about an hour from me, so I had to pop along for a look. About a 50% crop so not ideal, but its as close as he would come today. At least he came closer than the pair putting on a fantastic courtship display - about 150 yards away sadly

Canon 1dx
    500mm + 1.4x
    ISO 1600
    1/2000th f8

Mike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Mike, good to see you posting! Lovely frame but i do see a few things that could use some attention: the neck especially looks crunchy/over-sharpened. Also, the blacks on the body look flat and have a bluish tint, especially blueish at the water line.. I like the hint of the BNGR in the BG... too bad indeed about the pair so far away, grrrrhhhh..

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good Mike, we have one up here as well, first time for me. The head looks ok on my monitor, lovely colours especially the eye. I agree with Ann about the blacks having a blue tint, slightly on the back of the bird, and more on the lower part touching the water. The neck and head look ok here. Hope to get some photographs of them myself this weekend.

Will

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose, nice colors, nice background. I agree with Ann. Something seems off with the processing. Colors seem a little thin to me and maybe like the blacks were lifted a little too much? I also see the blue cast. The 1DX is so good that it should hold quality with a 50% crop. I don't get the feel of the rich chestnut tones that Eared Grebe (that's what we call them) should have and the white area at the base of the tail looks too gray. It's a nice shot but maybe revisiting the RAW would help get it right. Also I would clone out the dark blob in the background just behind the bird.

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post