Thread: Zebra Duel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Zebra Duel

Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't posted in this forum in a while. Here is a recent shot of two zebras dueling in the late afternoon. The image was shot near Satara rest camp in the Kruger National Park, South Africa.

Canon 7D II
    Canon 100-400 II
    ISO 1600
    1/1250
    F 5.0
    220mm
    Stephen Earle Photography
    Facebook page

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Stephen,

So good to have you back in the Wildlife Forum! Wonderful action captured from those two zebra, this frame is packed with lots of drama and tension and that raising dust is just awesome.

HA from the subjects is great. Very powerful expression from those two and I like the mouths open and teeth visible ( zebra bite is very sore, BTW !!!).

This looks like a big crop to me - have you by any chance got a little more space around the subjects? IMO this is a bit tight, but if you had to eliminate other characters present at the scene I understand. Would have been really nice if you allowed a bit more FG and some space at the sides.

Nice vibrant colours and I particularly like the golden cloud of dust. Zebra a bit too contrasty and I notice a slight blue cast, particularly on the white of the bellies, neck and face. You can fix that easily in PSCC.

I am off to Kruger tomorrow and really hope to have an opportunity such as this. Well seen and captured Stephen, let us see some more from you please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela,

Thanks for the comment. It is always helpful to have other input on a image.

The composition is tight but I think that makes the image stronger. The story here is the intensity of the conflict and the emphasis on the open mouths and teeth eliminates the need for further context imo. I also like the x formed by the zebras on the left top third.

Thanks for mentioning the cast, I will look into it.
    Facebook page

4. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a lot Stephen, I normally like space around the subjects, but when its all about the action I think going in tight often works well, as is the case here. Colour mentioned by Gabriela, otherwise no nits from me

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer action here. Sweet light as well. Neat how both their mouths are open.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very powerful image, I really like the action. My first impression was it was a little tight in the frame, I appreciate it concentrates on the action but how could you not if you see what I mean. With a little careful adjustments I think you could get some more detail in the eyes of the zebras, great shot!

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have not read the others comments yet. This is an extraordinary action capture, Stephen. I think, if you have the room I would open the crop quite a bit, keeping the zebras about the same size, but giving them a little more room to duel.
    Love the open jaws, and the red dust being kicked up. Well captured.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning action image Stephen also I adore the lit dust cloud it adds an intangible and so much depth.I'd like a bit more space around them if you have it.

TFS

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I like the interaction Stephen, having some better techs has let it down a little.

You needed more SS, at least 1/2000, but you don't say if this is FF or cropped as this too also has an effect in IQ???? The image needs controlling in Raw & PS with regard to: the Contrast, Shadows and Blacks, plus removal of the blue as Gabriela mentioned, as some areas are choked leading to loss of detail. Also balancing out the colour you can have far more impact and richness which will also create the depth. A tad more room around would benefit the image and give the subject 'breathing' space too.

The RP hopefully illustrates the points & direction.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. Good points to consider.
    Facebook page