Thread: Mountain hare

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mountain hare

Attached Images Attached Images

Bean bag, Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II Auto ISO 800 (-1.0), 1/2000 sec, f8
    ACR & PSCC, I left the majority of the specular highlights in the peat - they are spicules of thawing frost, I used the spot healing brush to remove the more multicoloured and prominent ones.

Taken in Derbyshire UK. Just having a yawn before getting down to some serious stretching and snoozing. The white fur coat is beginning to be replaced by the brown coat.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Those teeth look sharp! Great to see the changing coat. Nice control of the whites. I would prefer a little more room below by shifting the whole frame down slightly. There's some blue and cyan coming through in the shadowed whites of the chest/fur. I would reduce them if it were mine but not a deal breaker.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The facial pose i so reminisant of the lowland hares Jon ,I know this yawn ,cool capture,you have nailed most of my little nits HA is cool,they turn so often away. I adore the " black " of the peat,it shows the hare so well. Beyond great detail and exp ahh mate this is lovely .

I think I'd frame it a bit lower though and a bit less to the left,obstructions permitting! But all subjective.

I'd be beyond thrilled with this,love the changing coat!!

what a joy mate what a joy!!

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon I do like the lovely natural softness of the fur and that yawn takes it up a notch it,s great that you got it looking so relaxed,those small ears are typical of the mountain Hares and so different to there lowland cousins ,that black peaty soil makes it stand out so well and also gives the viewer a clue to it's moorland habitat.
    Very nice indeed.
    Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Jon, with the eye and sharp teeth & yawn making this a good shot. The details are great and the techs look nice. Agree with Rachel on more room below.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feed back everyone. I was unable to make significant compositional changes due to the terrain, I tried as far as possible to keep approximately at eye height to the hare. I was not using a tripod just a bean bag or my camera bag. Moorland is very uneven so minor readjustments of position usually result in tussocks of grass being in the way. The images I will be presenting are almost full frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one Jon, superb look at the teeth. They're not far from me, but I never seem to get time to shoot them, shabby I know!

Colours and details all look good, the peat BG works well with this frame

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, were you not able to move more to your right, may have given a better perspective of the subject and shot lower for more FG?

I can see another option with even less above, so you have more soil above. Have you/did you change your Cases? If he keeps that coat for much longer we will be easy picking up there.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike & Steve. The opportunities for movement were limited, there were three of us and we were on sides of two mini hillsides /ditch. We were only about 10m distant and it was wet a slippery so we were very cautious about slipping and scaring the hare. I changed position there times but I wanted to remain as close to eye level as I could. The case settings were changed before I went - got rid of those I tried previously I didn't see any benefit in them at all. I also turned off IS after a few frames.