Thread: Anhinga (f)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Anhinga (f)

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/1250 F/7.1 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 500, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 04-15-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the look back pose here. Exposure looks good. Great background as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great feather detail Joe---this guy looks like a porcupine----and perfect BG colour to back up the beak and it's open mouth highlights of pink.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful composition, and the head turn is perfect. Looks like it is smiling for you. Did you need to mask the subject to work on the BG (a BG that has appealing colours BTW)? There seems to be a "cut out" look, especially on each side of the lower neck.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Beautiful composition, and the head turn is perfect. Looks like it is smiling for you. Did you need to mask the subject to work on the BG (a BG that has appealing colours BTW)? There seems to be a "cut out" look, especially on each side of the lower neck.
    Hey Daniel, thank you for viewing and commenting. Yup, I did work on that area. Guess that proves... get it right in the field. Here is a do over.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good composition and pose, good DOF and sharpness. I prefer the repost I quite like the blue.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose and head turn. I really like the composition here. Always refreshing to see a new pose of one of these heavily photographed birds. Repost is way better re the colors. It is basically impossible I think to do what you tried to do there Joe. When you have those out of focus feathers that are bleeding into the background, they will always retain the original background color. Funny I like the version with the blue more. Something is still off with the processing. There is now a large halo or cloning area that is on the right side of the birds neck that starts just where the neck starts to curve.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Nice pose and head turn. I really like the composition here. Always refreshing to see a new pose of one of these heavily photographed birds. Repost is way better re the colors. It is basically impossible I think to do what you tried to do there Joe. When you have those out of focus feathers that are bleeding into the background, they will always retain the original background color. Funny I like the version with the blue more. Something is still off with the processing. There is now a large halo or cloning area that is on the right side of the birds neck that starts just where the neck starts to curve.
    Hey Isaac, I see the area you speak of but no post processing such as cloning or masking was done in that area. I remember a recent image you posted with a similar halo. Did you determine the cause of that, maybe the same here. Thank you for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have no clue what caused it on mine Joe. I didn't really see it except at a certain angle. That is really strange. Is it on your RAW file? Did you go back and see when in the history it came? It wasn't on my RAW file but I don't keep the history so don't know what caused it. But it would be super cool if you could see where it happened. Maybe we all could learn something. It was also on a similar light and colorful background so maybe some connection.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I have no clue what caused it on mine Joe. I didn't really see it except at a certain angle. That is really strange. Is it on your RAW file? Did you go back and see when in the history it came? It wasn't on my RAW file but I don't keep the history so don't know what caused it. But it would be super cool if you could see where it happened. Maybe we all could learn something. It was also on a similar light and colorful background so maybe some connection.
    Hi Isaac, I found what appears to be a halo, out of focus light colored feathers. I went to the original as imported into Lightroom from the camera. It shows there when enlarged as out of focus feather. Here is a screen capture.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice! So the cause of that was that your selection was not perfect and The out of focus feathers were lumped with the background in post. With all those out of focus feathers that selection has to be perfect. It's a major pain and really time consuming. But necessary.

On mine my selection was perfect and way way easier as there wasn't any out of focus stuff like you had.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting choice of crop and the nice Head Angle.

I do agree that repost is much better

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the look on this guys face. I think I like more room on top than you do as it was my comment on your more recent post - but, that's just a difference. The shot is lovely and engaging. Thanks.